Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Hanna
Casual Contributor

My brother is schizophrenic and started to have hallucinations

Lives alone and refused treatment has been diagnosed before 10 years. Is a medical doctor and he dose not know what he is doing right know. Is there any place to call and notify so that he can get a help before something happens
10 REPLIES 10

Re: My brother is schizophrenic and started to have hallucinations

Hi @Hanna

Welcome to the Forums, although it's not under great circumstances, I'm glad you found us.

If you feel your brother is at immediate risk, it's important to call 000 straight away.

I'm not sure which state you're located, but most states have a Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT). The Victorian CATT team is described as

'These services operate 24 hours a day and provide urgent community-based assessment and short-term treatment interventions to people in psychiatric crisis. CAT services have a key role in deciding the most appropriate treatment option and in screening all potential inpatient admissions. CAT services provide intensive community treatment and support, often in the person’s own home, during the acute phase of illness as an alternative to hospitalisation. CAT services also provide a service to designated hospital emergency departments through an onsite presence.'

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealthservices/adult/

Most states have CAT or something similar - just try Googling 'Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team' with the name of your state.

@Maze started a great discussion called 'What is a mental health crisis?', which has some great insights and experiences people have had with CAT and other mental health crisis. One response in particular that stands out is @Janna 's (which you can find on page 2)

Does anyone else have any info or expeirences they wish to share with Hanna?

Dear Niknik. <br> Thanks for ur reply. He is leaving in Melbourne. The problem is I don't leave in Australia and he changed his address. We don't know where he is and from our phone conversation he is hallucinating saying some groups are following him and trying to heart himand his family. Is there a possibility that the cent<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Thanks for ur reply!! <br>He lives in Melbourne. I don't reside in Australia and do not have his current address because he moved to another neighborhood. He completely halusinating and said in our phone conversation some groups are following him to heart him and his family. Is it possible for the centrs to put him in medical care without his consent? He is A doctor and doesn't tell his doctors z truth when he visit a psycheateriest. <br><br><br><br><br>

Hi @Hanna

That's tough, not knowing his address. Yes, he can be admitted involuntarily if he is assessed as being at risk to himself or others. The CAT team can make that assessment and if they don't feel that he needs to be in hospital, they can help set up some community support.

Do you have any family in Australia in which he may have disclosed his address to?

If you are very concerned, it's still worth calling the CAT team as they will still be able to offer some advice.

Has he mentioned the name of his psychiatrist before? If so, I'm sure a google search will track down the Dr's office and you can leave a message or speak with the Dr to flag what's going on.

Hi @Hanna,

Living away from your brother right now can add another layer of complexity. To add to NikNik's advice, it might be worth getting in contact with his local friends and family, and develop a bit of pla together. Perhaps set up a skype meeting to get a good sense of where he is at. 

@Jaye-Kay also cares for her daughter who lives in another country, which you can read about here. I wonder if she has any advice for how to provide long-distance care.

Also, it can be hard knowing how to communicate with someone who is experiecing hallucinating, or delusions. Not to mention that it can also be extremely distressing for them. It's vital that communication lines stay open as this can also be your gateway to encourage your brother to get some help. I've included a link to a resource here.

@Hanna does your brother have any family or close friends in Melbourne?

CherryBomb

Hi @Zen
I have contacted his friends and reported his case to CAT team. They said they will let us know the progress with in three days. Thanks all for ur advise!! It helped me a lot.

Glad it helped @Hanna!

Let us know how it goes. We're always here for you if you need support/advice.

I hope that your brother get the support and treatment that will help get him well again.

CherryBomb

Hi Dears

I just wanted one advise. His freinds contacted CAT and they said they will let them know with in 3 days. The problem now is he started to wander on the streets insulting people. Is there another center that can take immediate action? I am afraid he would do something bad to himself.

Hi @Hanna

The Crisis Assessment Team - psychiatric triage - will need to make the assessment for involuntary admission into a hospital. The police or ambulance could transport him to hospital, but they would also need to be either accompanied and/or he would still need to be assessed by psychiatric triage for admission into a mental unit on involuntary grounds.

Generally, for involuntary admission to occur there needs to considerably grounds for concerns that he is at immediate risk of harm, or a risk to others. 

If his condition worsens, it is helpful to contact the CAT and update them. This will help in their assessment. It's also usueful to start taking notes to pass on information.

@Zam has spoken about times they were admitted to hospital here. Perhaps they could also provide some advice here. 

CherryBomb

Dears
I would like to thank you all for ur advise. He has been admited to a hospital and is getting treatment. I hope God will help us in his recovery. I have one question is it possible to get carrers visa for such patient? I don't think he should leave alone, it is risky.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance