Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing expectations during The Holidays // Tues 10th Dec, 7pm AEDT

Alright crew - let's begin with who is here and the others can join in once they arrive!
@Adge @cutiepiekitty @Snowie @Former-Member  & others 

Question One

We all have a different expectations of how the holidays “should be”. These can be shaped by our family histories, and sometimes even by the media or peers. 

What do you think the holidays should look like? 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing expectations during The Holidays // Tues 10th Dec, 7pm AEDT

First thought is I want them to be relaxing ... reality they mostly end up being taken up with catching up with family in a hectic pace 

Yes agreed @Sophie1 So an ideal is sort of, just chatting to one another around the living room? Without having to jump house to house?

I find it hard that so many organisations, groups etc all close down for as much as 6 weeks at this time. It is too long when you are struggling and unable to get the support you usually can get from them.

So many have no families or their family are the cause of many of their problems so they have no supportive family for the Christmas period. That is where the peer support is needed most by a lot of us because it is so lonely and hard with the media stressing time with families. This can be an awful trigger. There needs to be more emphasis on things other than the family at this time, and more places opened for the support of people struggling. In country areas we are left totally unsupported. At least most cities have a lunch or something for people that are alone

With family members beginning to pass away and impacting me more I now think that connecting with individuals at the family celebrations in a more meaningful way is perhaps a valuable element to pull from the debris of effort to prepare and turn up to these events 

I would love to have family to share with

Hi @nashy and everyone else passing through.  I’m a long way from home tonight with my mum in hospital recovering from a broken hip.  Having a little set back on an otherwise perfect recovery - dementia and confusion pretty bad tonight so I might have to sit this one out.  I’ll jump on again tomorrow and take a look at the discussion 

Hi @nashy @Sophie1 @Adge @cutiepiekitty @Snowie @@@@@and everyone joining here. 

I totally agree that the holiday season should be about relaxing and taking it easy like @Sophie1 said. There’s so much pressure to be with family, friends and everyone else yet some people like myself just want to chill and take it easy.

@nashy 

I think the holidays should be relaxing too but I know they won't be.

They should be filled with family and/or friends that you feel comfortable around.

They should be a time when you can stay away from crowded places!

People celebrating Christmas together.

Family or social gatherings that are meaningful, & bring people together @nashy

The reality is very different.

I will have no-one to spend time with - so I either spend Christmas day (& the whole period) alone - or I go to a Community Christmas lunch (for people) who have no celebration or gathering, or people to spend it with.

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance