Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Supporting an already Depressed Partner through Cancer diagnosis

No, not really @Shaz51.  @outlander @Former-Member @Former-Member @Faith-and-Hope @greenpea @Former-Member

It looks like hubby may be suffering from an underlying condition of Parkinsons Disease.  I asked both his GP and his Oncologist about it this week during a series of medical appointments.  Its been a busy week.  He has had 3 serious falls in the past 2 weeks now, and I can see him going downhill almost daily.  

The GP after some basic tests said he agreed with me re parkinsons, but wanted me to run it by the oncologist first before referring to neurologist. I spoke to the oncologist yesterday and asked him.  He did some basic tests and agreed that he shows all the signs of parkinsons disease, and agrees that a referral to a neuro is warranted.  He agrees that some of the side effects of the treatment he is receiving for his melanoma should not be having the effect that it is currently.  And as I pointed out to him, some of these symptoms (shakiness, shuffling gait, confusion) started before his immunotherapy commenced.  But it has been worsened by the treatment. 

As a result hubby is to have scans on his brain/chest/abdomen next Thursday.  It will show whether the treatment is successful or not, and whether the cancer has spread to his brain or whatever.  Hoping the result is okay and that its possibly Parkinsons which is causing the problem.  But now I dont know what is worse?

And besides that, my drug addicted 19 year old nephew came out of rehab/detox last Sunday.  Again.  Thats twice now that he has quit.  And yesterday he was arrested for aggravated break, enter and steal and I believe also assault.  He is in jail as of yesterday.  Given he was on a bond, he remains in jail until at least Tuesday.  His Dad (my brother) and his mother are devastated.

So am I.

Sherry xx

ohhh @Former-Member , giving you he biggest hugs I can HeartHeart, wish i was there with you my friend xoxoxoxox

@Former-Member ..... 💜😔

Hearing you ..... bit lost for words ..... hold to courage ..... wishing you peace amidst the turmoil .....

@Former-Member

@Former-Member Omg Sherry so much for one person's shoulders to carry. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. It is just not right or fair. 

Hello @Former-Member

I was just thinking of you today when I received the notification of your post. Oh Sherry - I so feel for you. I wish I could do more......😢.Sitting with you. Sending a warm hug 🤗 ❤️ 🌹 xxx

(((((((Sherry))))))) hugzz
I sometimes wonder if we're all better off not knowing. All these tests & second guessing 😖 sounds so exhausting. Gets to a place where we just have to face one day @ a time ❤❤❤

@Former-Member ...

@Former-Member How are you doing today?Just thinking what you are going through makes this lil pea all teary.

Aww gee, I do hate to see a little green pea cry!  Thanks @greenpea.  Its been hard.  I've spent all day picking up up off the floor, helping him into and out of bed and into and up from the lounge.  He is very very weak and wobbly today.  Not sure why its this bad so quickly.  And he is angry, very angry.  Understandable I guess because he cant do anything.

My 19 year old nephew had a very brief hearing yesterday and, as expected, was kept in jail.  He was already on a bond for a similar offence a couple of months ago. Dreadful things drugs!  They'll do anything to get the money to fund their habit.  He will have a further hearing on Tuesday or Wednesday.  My brother is going to visit him in jail tomorrow.  Poor kid, he's likely to be in full withdrawal mode by then.  My brother spoke to the police and warned them he was already in the mental health system and that he was likely to self harm and definitely at risk.  So I just hope they are keeping a close eye on him.  My poor brother has been on the phone to me a couple of times today, he's just devastated.

So yeah, its tough.  I'd like to be down there to help out if I can, but I cant go anywhere with hubby being so sick and helpless.

Sherry  Woman Sad

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance