Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Struggling with diagnosis.

I have been struggling with my diagnosis for some time now. All my notes from hospital say schizophrenia but no doctor has even discussed that diagnosis with me and it's bothering me. I'm still struggling with the diagnosis of psychotic depression. I am a young person and am thinking who will want me in terms of partner wise. What if the doctors have it wrong and it is schizophrenia - that would be worse for me. I apply no stigma to everyone else but myself.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Struggling with diagnosis.

@Former-MemberI think it is fair to speak to your GP about it, about what it could mean, and ways to recovery.

Its heady stuff being told or just reading it on your notes.

I believe hospitals ought have a policy re discussing diagnoses with patients before they discharge, pity they did not have the courtesy to do so with you. Also when we are overwhelmed we may not remember everything that occurred.

Bottom line you are a person not a label.

Go gently and look after yourself.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I was diagnosed with psychotic depression but my notes say schizophrenia and I can't get it out of my head. I don't know if someone has made a mistake but it's bothering me.

Hi @Former-Member, best to talk to them about the diagnosis. To be diagnosed with Sz you have to have symptoms for over 6 months. Sometimes they write "schizophreniform psychosis" as an initial diagnosis or as a note.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't know who to talk to about it. I feel lost and confused. I'm having a really bad day.

Many people only have one or two episodes of psychosis and it might not really develop into chronic schizophrenia.

Were you discharged without a support team? @Former-Member Or is too long til next appointment ...

What are the things that you like to do when you are feeling well?

Sorry about questions, only say what you are comnfortable with.

Apple

Former-Member
Not applicable

I've managed to find my own support team. I've got an appointment with a new psychologist next week as the old one was not helping. I've had several episodes of psychosis with a stay in hospital this year but no doctor has mentioned schizophrenia to me yet it's written in my notes as a diagnosis. No mention to me or my family yet it's there. I'm a mess it's depression more than anything else. Just seems like too much to deal with. Thanks for your help.

Hi @Former-Member, sorry to hear that the day isn't going so well. The diagnosis can change over time. The key point is the treatment so I guess you have meds plus support from a good psychologist, I think it's really important to find a good psychologist. Perhaps the problem today is you're thinking about the "what if's" like who will want me in terms of partner wise and those thoughts can gather momentum and drag you down... that's my experience anyway. Best to re-read the comment from @Appleblossom "go gently and look after yourself" and re-focus on other things for a while. 

Glad you have worked out your priorities enough and found some good people.  Doing that is creative and productive, dont let words on a file get you down.

I have a lot of govt files about family from FOI.  SOmetimes they write things and dont relaise fully the consequences of those actions.

Give the sz the "mental flick" for a while and work with the positive things you have put in place.  Thats all anyone can do in a life.

@patientpatient @Former-Member

Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member,
I know that some psychs use this diagnosis on paperwork so that you qualify for antipsychotics on the PBS.
Antipsychotics full cost is around 100-300 a month!!! So if they 'say' you have schizophrenia, but they've told you it's psychotic depression they're probably doing it to bend the rules and make your medication (that you need) affordable for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance