Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Need to brainstorm ideas for coping

This might be a bit long because I need to explain the situation, so bear with me.

The dog I was training to be my psychiatric assistance dog was super unluckily diagnosed with hip dysplasia a month ago, aged 15 months. This means he can't be an assistance dog as he needs a vet to sign him off as being fit to work. I can't leave the house without the help of my dog, who is now officially a pet. What is more, I won't be able to keep him because I still need a working dog, but I live alone and if I kept him and got a working dog, he would be left alone far too much and be unhappy. My friend has said he will do an "open adoption", so I can still see him sometimes but he will be my friend's dog. That's the best situation I could hope for, really.

The reason I am at my wits end is because he is still an adolescent, so behaves like one (sometimes ignoring me, pushing the boundaries etc.) but now I know I will never see the fruits of his training when he grows out of it (because he will be my friend's dog), it's really hard to put up with the silly behaviour. It makes going out a misery because my ability to cope if he ignores me and tries to chase a bird or something is nil. I often walk out the door with him, turn around after 30m and come home. What is more, since he is a pet now I'm really lonely because I can't go anywhere except the park as he can't go with me to the library or anywhere people congregate, especially now it's getting cold. I have also been out of the blue verbally attacked by strangers when out and about twice in two weeks, which adds to me not wanting to leave the house.

I think things will get a little bit better at the end of May when I have my Ps test, so at least then I'll be able to drive to places other than the park (can't take public transport because dogs aren't allowed, so I can only go where my feet can take me, plus because of the hip dysplasia my dog shouldn't walk as far as he used to). But it's still really difficult.

I need to brainstorm ideas that will enable me to cope with the isolation and frustration, which will also make my dog happier until he goes to live with my friend in around July/August. I am a bit stumped. I have plenty to do at home because I am studying online, but I need to get out sometimes and so does my dog.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Need to brainstorm ideas for coping

Hi @Former-Member 

Thats an interesting handle ye have there.  Is your dog a German Shepherd by any chance as our dog was, and she was diagnosed with the same condition.  Apparently its very common in German Shepherds, we were advised that exercise is good for the dog on leash, restrict running and try and keep the dog at a healthy weight. 

Have you begun training your dog to obey commands, this will help whenever  you go out for walks.  Good luck in getting your P's.    Take care

I train my dog. I have always trained my dogs. Regardless of how much you train your dog, adolescence is a difficult time.

I've known owners to bring in dog behavioural therapists to help with the challenge of adolescent behaviour. @Former-Member . I also wonder if pain is adding to his behaviour? May be worthwhile taking your dog to the vet if you haven't already.

I'm glad you are able to work towards getting your P's so you can get around a bit. Do you have any dog parks around you, or doggie clubs? For example, down the road from me, we have a German Shepherd association. Many German Shepherd owners come with their dogs to train, chat, exercise. It's a good outlet for dog and owner.

I hear things are a bit restricted at the moment. I wonder if it's just a matter of riding out the teenage phase?

I hope you find some helpful strategies to support yourself and your dog.

tyme

I have clearly been to the vet because he has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia, and as I said, I will never see the end of the adolescent period. As much as I appreciate being told I should just train my dog better, this is really not what I asked… never mind. It was a bad idea to come back. I’ll leave now.

I'm sorry you feel this way. That was not the intention at all. 

The comment to the vet was about whether the hip dysplasia is affecting their behaviour as opposed to just having the diagnosis.

I was sharing my experiences of owners seeing pet behaviour therapists. It is not about training your dog better. 

I'm sorry you have interpreted these suggestions as the cause of stepping away.

All the best. @Former-Member 

Are you ok @tyme 

Hey @Asgard ,

Absolutely! Thanks for checking!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance