Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My sister is not talking to anyone, I don't know what's the best course of action

@BillyBird  Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It's good to know your brother is taking his medication. In my experience it is very hard to reach someone when they are angry. Your brother has feelings of distrust, betrayal, fear and grief and anything you try to say ends up being wrong. He may need to speak to a counsellor.

When I was psychotic my sister rang the CATT because I was getting dangerous. The police were called and I was taken into protective custody and then hospital. I was angry at my sister because I felt powerless, betrayed, abandoned and very frightened. I eventually saw a psychologist who helped me to work through my feelings and eventually the anger went.  It's taken two years for the scars to heal, but it would have taken longer if it wasn't for the psychologist. Your brother loves you very much, always remember that.

Warm regards,

Schitzo 🌷🌻 xx

Re: My sister is not talking to anyone, I don't know what's the best course of action

Thank you for your heart-felt honesty @Schitzo .

Hugs @BillyBird 

How are things @Rivulet ?

BPDSurvivor

My deepest sympathies to you and your family for the loss @BillyBird.

I am glad that your brother has you by his side! Please don't forget to take care of yourself. 

@Schitzo, I would also like to thank you for your honesty and for sharing your experience with us. Your response has allowed me to have better understanding of what my sister may be experiencing as well.

@BPDSurvivor Thank you for always checking in with the others and I to see if we are okay! My family and I did get an update from the doctor in charge of my sister in hospital, and they mentioned they've had to increase the medication. It seems that my sister's delusions that her family are trying to hurt her have not subsided and seem to be in the same intensity as when she had arrived in the hospital 2 weeks ago. 

Our family haven't been able to visit my sister or to talk to her ourselves as she has been refusing to meet us or even speak to us over the phone. We have been dropping off items for her at her request though and have been getting updates from the medical staff. I'm not sure if there's anything much we can do apart from wait. We have been told that she has been talking less to herself and seems quite comfortable and relaxed in the hospital so that is a good sign for us.

I am doing ok though, thank you for asking! I guess on my end, I'm trying to support my parents, especially my mother who is very anxious and saddened by the rejection of my sister as it is her first time acting in this manner. During her last hospitalisation she was always telling us to visit and talk to her, but this time round her delusions are focused more on how the family are trying to harm her hence why she is rejecting us. I've tried to explain to my mother that sister is acting this way due to her illness, and it is not my mother's fault. She keeps blaming herself saying she must have neglected my sister when she was small (which is definitely not the case), but I think my sister's rejection has broken her heart. We all try to comfort mother, but I think she'll only feel better once my sister starts wanting to see us and/or want to start talking to us again.

For now, I'm just trying to see what else I can do to help mother feel better and hopefully we can hear some positive news (even if it's a small piece of news) about my sister during the meeting we have scheduled with my sister's doctor.

@Rivulet ,

I am glad to hear your sister has made some improvement. It is certainly not that your sister is 'rejecting' you. You are doing the right thing in giving it time. I do hope your parents will understand that it is her illness speaking and not herself.

My heart goes out to you because I know this is a huge hurdle for all of you. It sounds like your sister has heaps of support both from you and the hospital. 

Keep us in the loop! Please take care yourself too.

BPDSurvivor

@BPDSurvivor Thank you again for your great words of comfort and your support. I will definitely keep you all posted with how we go! Please take care yourself as well Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance