Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Molly1
New Contributor

Community Treatment Orders - Help

My 19 year old son recently breached his CTO and was picked up by the police and taken to our nearest Mental Health Facility which is over an hour away. He has now been there almost 2 weeks. Today I spoke to his doctor and asked when he will be discharged. I was told that because he was admitted for a breach of his CTO, they can keep him there until his current CTO expires, which is the beginning of next month. The doctor also told me that they are looking at sending him to a Mental Health Rehab Unit which would be for about 3 months. I mentioned about his CTO expiring next month and that my son wouldn't agree to stay. The doctor wasn't concerned about this and said that they would just get another CTO and hold him under that. Does anyone know if they can do this ?  Any suggestions on what I can do to fight this ?  My son also has an intellectual disability and attends a day program where he is taught life and work skills. 

My son was given his depot  not long after being admitted and is now mentally stable according to his doctor  but they would like to keep him for observation until his next depot is due. Although I questioned how much observation they would be doing has my son is now in an open ward, where he can leave at 8:30 am after breakfast and not return until 5pm for dinner. In my opinion it is pointless him being there when he is away from the ward for the majority of each day. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do ? I just want my son home again. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Community Treatment Orders - Help

Hi, my partner is on a CTO, I would ring the caseworker to find out the logistics as I was unaware they could keep you in hospital because of it, they can detain but only for a certain number of days. Call his caseworker but also look up your rights and responsibilities under the mental health act and see if that is useful. I agree about how much to they observe and monitor in an open ward, in my experience as a career I would say NOT OFTEN!!! Sometimes you feel like all you do is fight the system!!!!! That's my experience anyway x

Hi @Molly1,

A warm welcome to the SANE forums Smiley Happy

Having your son in a facility that is over an hour away must be so difficult, particularly when you arent too sure when he will be home.  @Attahua has some good suggestions in terms of talking with his case workers if he has any involved at the moment, perhaps through the day program he attends and by getting some legal advice about the mental health act.  Im wondering if the mental health tribunal at the hospital he is currently at can be consulted? As treatment orders are a legal process, as you already know, the doctors involved in your sons care need to prove that there are grounds for his continued treatment in either hospital or the rehab unit you were talking about.  Perhaps you can be involved in this process? This may vary from state to state, so as a starting point it may be a good idea to seek some legal advice.

I hope this is helpful @Molly1 and hope your son can come home soon.  How have you been coping with all of this? I hope you have some support for you.

Take care and hope to 'see' you around the forums again soon Smiley Happy

Rockpool

Hi @Molly1

Just stopping by to say hello and ask whether the situation with your son has improved for you ? 

Is he back at home now ?

🌷💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance