27-08-2021 09:49 AM
Wear It Purple Day - 27th August 2021 💜💜💜
Today is Wear It Purple Day! 💜
Wear It Purple Day is an awareness day aiming to support and empower safe and inclusive spaces for rainbow young people.
Here in the Friends, Family and Carers Forum, we are celebrating today how we create safe spaces for the people we support, especially young people from the LGBTIQA+ Community.
This year’s theme for Wear It Purple Day is Start the Conversation…Keep it going
What is wear it purple day all about?
At it’s core, Wear It Purple is about showing up for and celebrating rainbow youth, and creating spaces of safety and belonging. These spaces of safety are also contributing to suicide prevention, which was one of the core reasons that founders of WIPD started this movement.
This year, Wear It Purple is celebrating 10 years of supporting LGBTIQA+ young people, and encouraging us all to wear purple and show support for our youth.
The theme: Start the Conversation…Keep it going
“Wear it Purple Day 2021’s theme is focused on the important and necessary conversations we have in our daily life; that centre around sexual orientation and gender identity. It aims to remind people that the issues we reflect on Wear it Purple Day should not only be considered on that particular day… but every day.” -WIPD Website
Our forums centre on sharing stories and supporting our communities, and today we encourage you all to reach out to the people in your life and keep the conversations going.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few ways you can get involved to create more inclusive spaces:
- Wear Purple to show your support
- Read resources from the Wear It Purple website about key issues impacting LGBTIQA+ youth
- Practice inclusivity in how you communicate and in your language. For example, respecting the importance of pronouns and gender affirmation everyday
- Keep reaching out to your loved ones to let them know you are a safe person to talk to
- Share your story of coming out, pride and how you found your safe tribe to empower others
Feel free to share how you will be celebrating Wear It Purple, or share a purple image in support!