Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

mhsw
Contributor

Tele Support Group

Hello

I am currently in the process of writing a proposal for a Pilot Tele Support Group for carers of some one with a mentalillness in Victoria... Does any one know of any agency that might offer such a program ? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Tele Support Group

Hi @mhsw,

Can you tell us a bit more about the tele support group? We might be able to point out programs once we know a bit more.

Sounds like a great idea from you've told us so far. Smiley Happy

Hi 

thank you for the reply.  I have expressed an interest to write a grant proposal for running support groups for carers in regional vic as a trial project.  My prelim thinking is to run weekly - telephone on skype based group sessions (i could use Zoom softtware as well).  I am considering groups for supporting carers dealing with BPD, Bipolar and depression.  Also, it is a means of enabling public to access our Carer Education workshops and Seminars in a cost effective way. 

I know that some rural practices are offering consultation with Psychiatrists via Skype - My friend accessed these in NSW.

In my current planning, i am considering a model where individuals come together for a  a tele conference facility at a local community centre (a group where possible)  or access from the privacy of their own home. I could run some group ACT or Mindfulness programs quite effectively... 

appreicate some suggestions as i have lbeen advised that funding may be available for a pilot initiative, including to buy some initial infrastructure support such as PC and effective data connectivity at both ends.

Is CarersVictoria a possibility?

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your idea for a tele support group. I know most carers are busy and can sometimesfind it hard to get out and about and attend support groups etc face-to-face, so there is a lot of merit to your idea and certainly would help to fill a gap in the carers community. I can think of a couple of potential organisations I know of that might be a good lead for you...

Have you heard of ARAFMI? In Victoria this is operated by MIND Australia. They run a range of programs and support options for carers of people with mental illness.

Also - BPD Family offer online support to families dealing with BPD.

GROW Victoria are another organisation that run support groups for mental illness. I believe they offer only face-to-face support but perhaps they'd be interested in hearing more about your idea.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance