Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

sharona
Contributor

Looking for some a social worker (or similar) in Sydney

I am wondering if anyone could recommend a person to help us. I am looking for someone who could help us  as a family. I have reached the point where personally either my son learns/decides to treat me with respect and play a reasonable part around the house, etc or I will have to live elsewhere. I need someone who can negotiate between us and see if it's possible to get some compromise without conflict. Or help  my son adjust to the new status quo ,ie. one of us will go, without conflict. Male would be preferable as he can be a bully. But I need someone who will listen to me as well.

That's the basic and primary need right now,but who knows, if the relationship woked out,maybe they could help my son venture out,find an interest, walk to the beach. 

I think it might be good if this person was willing to come to our place, as that would give a quick indication of the issue and I think be more realistic for him.

Has anyone else tried something like this? I know it will be costly but I am desperate.

My son has avoidant personality disorder, depression and likely conversion disorder . 

Looking forwrd to any ideas, experiences or suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Looking for some a social worker (or similar) in Sydney

Hi @sharona

It sounds like you're at a bit of a cross roads at the moment. It's great that you're looking for assistance with this.

While we can't name individuals in this community, people may have some recommendations of organisations.

Just some quick clarifying questions, if you don't mind -

How old is your son? It might make a difference to who people recommend

Is he currently recieving any treatment elsewhere?

Phams ... have a mentor program ... NSW might have similar organisation to Carers Vic ... a social worker from Carers Vic ... has been gutsy enough to impress me ... and direct and to the point ... hasnt met my son yet ... we have a different dynamic .. .. different organisations have different visions and methods ...

Take care of yourself ...

Hi @sharona I am not sure whether this is appropriate right at the moment, as I know your son was really having a rough time in late December when you updated us. But I just was wondering whether you have considered Relationships Australia NSW as a potential service for now or in the future? They offer family mediation and counselling, among other family-centric support options. You can have a look at their website or give them a call on 1300 364 277 if this might be of interest. I know things have continued to be difficult late last year... How have things been since Christmas? Has 2016 been any better, or still pretty rough? Look forward to hearing any updates if you'd like to keep sharing. Take care of yourself, Mosaic.

Drummond Street clinic recently had mental health funding but I think the funding s dried up but they offer couple and family counselling. Also you could try the Bouverie Centre for family counselling. Good luck!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance