Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ButterflyWings
Senior Contributor

Friend&Me

How do you look after yourself when you are suicidal already but then your friend rings you and is also suicidal and triggering? Then says let's make a pact not to have these thoughts. So hard...and also a recent bereavement for me.

7 REPLIES 7
hanami
Senior Contributor

Re: Friend&Me

Sorry to hear this @ButterflyWings . It's a lot that you're feeling right now.  

Do you need some crisis support service contact details? I'll pop them below in case and also for anyone reading along that feels they need this. Please keep reaching out and letting us know how you are going. Do you have mental health support like from your GP or a therapist?

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

If in immediate danger: 000 

Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Hey @ButterflyWings just wanted to stop by and see how you're travelling this evening. Here if you wanna chat 😊

@ButterflyWings 

Condolences for your loss.

They are hard thoughts to deal with, experience or hear about.

One of the sad things is that often if we push them away they may come back stronger, so I am not sure if a pact is possible.  But a pact not to act on them, is.  Mindfulness strategies which include an acknowledgment of the thought and a neutral stance, tends to help lessen them.

Please tak care

Gently Bently Apple

Eniac
Senior Contributor

Mate. Suicidal thoughts are an unfortunate link to human emotion. And, we can be extremely emotional creatures. It can be said to be natural, but it is more accurately understood as chemical. I really enjoy the emotion attached to my memories, experiences and similarities to past loves when I listen to music.. but, I understand  that is how we are wired. Not to be calous, but, we must imagine that we have never known those and that which caused our pain. Can you honestly say you feel so emotional over the local news of lives lost in any particular part of the world? No.. because, you do not know them. Sure.. you may be disturbed, as I am, by constant unnecessary loss of human life.. and I often wonder whom those unknowns could have been.. but, I must remember that my existence is much the same as the unknown, to the unknown. 

Our connection, loss and subsequent emotion is dictated by much more basic methods than our brilliant "heart" tells us. I feel for you mate. S**t... many moons ago, I swore I was at my end.. it was not pretty. Only a mild amount of time later, I realised I came within a few breaths of my demise over someone I otherwise without having time, comfort and conversation.. I would not have give much s**t about. But, through my misunderstanding of human chemistry, was immediately close to MY life.

I have very little doubt you and your friend are absolutely awesome people, because you're both clearly emotional.. which simply means you're both, quite honestly, more of what this world needs. Just need to have a wee bit of thought as to how more important it is that you both survive, exist and continue to support each other.

Kind of leads me to, like.. why, mate? Clearly more going on. Small steps. These people are very supportive and kewl. I'm just a bit more direct.

But trust me.. my love for the unknown, including you n ya mate, exists quite well.

😎

@ButterflyWings  Here if you want to share anything... 💌 Friendship can change a lot. 

@Jynx Just looking over this thread tonight. I had some intense therapy over end Aug into late Sept which seemed to help okay. Obviously I need a top up though. It's a struggle. Sorry if I triggered half the website last year.

Welcome back @ButterflyWings ,

Thanks for the update. We appreciate you remembering us and coming back. 

If there are times we are very concerned, we would email you directly 🙂

Hope you are okay. I hear it's a struggle, and it's a place so many know only too well.

You are not alone.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance