Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Appleblossom
Community Elder
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Alternative Approaches in Australia

Great resources, Safe Havens are such a good idea aren't they? Thanks for sharing @Appleblossom 💛

Yes I was noticing the Safe havens continued to be set up during the pandemic, whereas things in Victoria got a bit frozen ... like the weather ...

They must be able to set up better services than the ED.  The ED is expensive and not doing the right job anyway, and even adding trauma to some people..

Thank you so much for sharing @Appleblossom ❤️ 

SafeHavens look amazing. What a great idea. I imagine in regional areas they're so effective too

I wonder if there's a way to advocate for some changes?

I also want to acknowledge what you said about how many services we have right now, like ED, aren't good enough. And can be traumatising for any of us with complex needs. But, sometimes, they're all we have during an emergency ❤️ And while they absolutely need to improve, sometimes they're the only people we can call. 

If you've had some traumatising experiences in the ED, I really encourage you to talk about them. Do you have someone you could talk to about it? 

Big love and thanks for these resources,

TuxedoCat

Great links @Appleblossom !

@TuxedoCat 

The trauma I have had from EDs is vicarious as I watched what happens for my son.  Its not really about me.  The damage is profound and I will not stop advocating for more appropriate services. I read a news article whinging about stressed health services this week.  I also have rage and disgust about how my brother was treated by an ED in the week before he died. Its mainly about limiting liability and not about care.  That was 1995.  The mental health services have had a lot of time to figure out better options than the ED.  I have also read many stories on here.  EDs should not be a joke. I respect medicine and the tax payers money. I am good at being grateful etc etc etc ... Time to lift the game, by spending less money but spending it fit to purpose.

I'm 100% with you on that @Appleblossom it's really not good enough from ED. So grateful for powerful advocates like you to make change, and support those in our community. And also educate us all on alternatives which are empowering, rather than harmful.

Nobody should have to experience what you and your family did, but I'm glad you can be a support for others with these experiences within the community ❤️ 

I went a few times to the ED with my brother, though not that last time.  I had 3 littlies to care for.  Sadly the issue is current in my life with my son, over the last few years. @TuxedoCat  I got a bit triggered and used much stronger language that in my initial post with the links. Was not sure how you would take it. Thanks for caring. 

Many people with psych issues do not want to distract the ED staff from physical health emergencies. 

I'm also sorry if I was dismissive and triggered you. Thank you for telling me ❤️

Here for whatever you need.

Fighting for better,

TuxedoCat

Hello dear @Appleblossom 

the format on here has changed considerably since my last brief visits.

I am randomly reading threads.

Noticed your name with links and thought oh yes need to read more interesting and invaluable information posted by Appleblossom.

You already know that I share exactly the same feelings as yours about emergency departments; mental health assessments within them from doctors who have no mental health training; waiting periods and so on and so on.

Unacceptable outcomes; unnecessary questions and more questions before a registrar even speaks to patient.

They have lost sight of the fact that the patients are there because they need to be listened to and heard. If incoherent then; yes that is right; wait until they are coherent. Allow them time as a human being.

Stretched resources; staff shortages; yes; we know that answer have heard it over and over again.

Back up plans? Contingencies? Why is it still coming at the cost of a patient's wellbeing and possible;hopefully opportunity for a start to stabilise; heaven forbid even recover.

Oh I need to stop before I burst.

Yes I am still angry.

I am redirecting this anger into vital resources.

Keep on advocating; posting; I for one will eventually find you. I always do.

Will try to catch up with you elsewhere at some other time.

Have spent way too much time on computer already and am paying for it.

Love Sophia

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance