Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Panda2
Casual Contributor

Paranoid delusions

Hi I'm new to this forum.

Adult son has been hospitalized before for delusions.

He is expressing paranoid delusions again. He won't connect with help, has stopped taking his medication, and is asking us for help but only for irrational things. Not sure what to do

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Paranoid delusions

Hi @Panda2 ,

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Thank you for posting and sharing what is happening for you son right now.

It sounds like your son really does need support right now. Do you feel he is a danger to himself right now?

As of today he is starting to message and talk to us. He has been calm but delusional earlier, then angry when we suggested any GP appointment, then asked for a visit later. So as of tonight I have some hope

It sounds like seizing the moment @Panda2 . When he has the delusions, it is his condition speaking, not himself.

Just hold on there. We are sitting with you.

Thank you, that helps to know that

@Panda2 - It can be so confronting speaking to a somewhat irrational person who you know is not well. 

I hope your son gets the support he deserves.

At the same time, do you have supports for yourself as a carer? I can see how this could be a stressful time for you.

Hey there @Panda2 

Thank you for reaching out and for posting here on the SANE Forums. It can be a tricky thing reaching out for support when you need it, but I am so glad that you have. Welcome!

It can be incredibly difficult trying to navigate caring for our loved ones that may suffer with complex mental health. You seem like you really care and want the best for son, but is also important to remember to take care of yourself as his carer (informally or formally). 

I've linked some past Topic Tuesdays that we have done on caring for carers and the support that is available for you (even as an informal support in your sons life). I hope that they are of some help for you. There is also a few questions targeted on taking care of yourself as a carer, and navigating becoming a carer of a family member with complex mental health. 

- Calling all Carers!

- Caring for the Carer

Sending lots of hugs, 

Amber22

Hello @Panda2 

I hope your meeting with your son went as well as possible given all the circumstances.

My best suggestion, is not to argue with or buy into anything you believe is delusional thinking.

However keeping doors open ... for help seeking or him connecting ... and providing only help you deem sensible and reasonable given the whole picture.... eg buy a tent or provide a temporary room and food if he is homeless... stuff like that ...we can only do our best...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance