Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Ts1113
New Contributor

Mum is mentally ill

Hi all, My mum has been in and out of hospital so many times the last few yrs due to her mental heath. But, this year she has been in almost every month she has admitted herself then been let out to go home then within a week or two back in. After refusing medication and being abussive to nurses the mental health board have decided my mum has to stay in there. Which i agree until her medication is working or she agrees to continually take it she is not safe being out. I visited her today for the first time in about a month.. and she "wasn't there" like i was sitting across from her and was also with one of my brothers but i could not even look at her as bad as it sounds i just felt like crying..Is there anyone who has or is in a similar situation? 
(The last i heard my mum has been diagnosed with "Late onset Schizophreniaand psychosis)

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mum is mentally ill

@Ts1113   So sorry to read this. I am in a similiar situation although it is my daughter. It will take time for your mums medication to kick in and know that she is in the right place to receive the care and help she needs. Please remember you and you're family are not alone in this and support is available here with SANE. Look after yourselves and I pray your mum returns to you soon. 

Thank you Krishna. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I can’t imagine how hard that would be. As hard as it is I am glad i am not the only one going through this. ❤️

That sounds really tough.

I feel like I have lost my Mum to mental illness at the moment, as well.  I try to remember that the things that are distressing about how she is at the moment is her illness and temporary.  

In the meantime I'm allowing myself to cry... to feel angry... to experience all the feelings.  It's a kind of grief really, isn't it.  Is that how it feels for you?

You are not alone.  Be gentle with yourself.  I hope your mum is more herself again soon.  

Hi. Yes my mother had the same problem. It takes a lot of courage to manage what you are going through. At least she is in care and not out on the streets. It’s so so hard for you. The only advice I can give is to is that schizophrenia is so common and nothing you have done has caused it - it’s like it’s the wish of the gods. No rhyme nor reason. Crying is ok too. I hope your brother is supporting you as well. I think it helps when you have someone else near to the situation. Try to do some nice things for yourself and if not already some mindfulness might help. Writing and if you can maybe some good counselling. A layer has been imbedded in you skin. You can’t remove it. You will have to learn to live with it and when you do. And you will live will be a bit easier. I hope this helps a little.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance