Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Bettyboop1
New Contributor

I am the subject of my child's delusions

My daughter has a delusional disorder in which she believes I am putting medication in her drinks/food in an act of Munchausen by proxy so I can be a martyr. She believes I can do this by enlisting her partner or friend. I am at a loss at how to deal with this despite being a mental health nurse. It tears my heart out not being able to comfort her or even follow the usual psychotherapy that I would with my patients. She does not believe she has a disorder and is non compliant with her medication. My biggest fear is that it will destroy her relationship with her adorable partner. I have no idea how to deal with this and fear my own mental health is in decline. Has anyone experienced similar and have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I am the subject of my child's delusions

@Bettyboop1  Hey Bettyboop1 and welcome to the forums. I have something similar with my autistic and schizophrenic son. Mine is (since he takes his medications) not negative anymore. Just fantastical. I do not know what the answer is ..... does your daughter see a good psychiatrist and psychologist? I think it would also be beneficial for you as well to see a counsellor. I might also add that I have schizoaffective disorder. Maybe @Anastasia  could help more. Take care. greenpeax

hello @Bettyboop1  thinking of you today , how are you today xxx

Hi @Bettyboop1, welcome to the forums and I'm glad you've reached out 💗My heart goes out to you for the turmoil this is causing.

You mentioned that you're a mental health nurse so I'm mindful that you may already be aware of advice or information I might give. This resource by Mental Health First Aid Australia, though, has a lot of tips and advice for supporting a person experiencing delusions, including how to approach conversations if someone doesn't acknowledge that there's an issue. I hope it can help.

I also agree with @greenpea that if you aren't already being supported by a counsellor, I'd recommend it given how much you're going through.

Sending lots of support for you 💖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance