Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

NH2020
New Contributor

Help and advice needed

Hello, I’ve been googling about what to do when a partner is having a psychosis issue and found this website! My partner has always been someone who doesn’t fully trust everyone and when she drinks a lot can get angry (never physically but mentally) but after 2 1/2 years something has changed drastically! She had Covid two weeks ago and after she recovered from that at home she started saying things that I thought were just plain crazy! I’m now thinking she is having a complete psychosis breakdown! She thinks Her family, friends and me are all monitoring her, that we are working together trying to get her to do what we want her to do, thinks we are secretly giving her antidepressants, videoing her and everything I say about anything incl the weather or that I put on TV is my way of telling her what’s wrong with her or what she has done or thinking is wrong! She says she can’t trust anyone and doesn’t feel safe anywhere, said she was going to drive to A mental hospital but then that I think scares her or she doesn’t believe she needs to.  She is either crying uncontrollably or emotionally cold & empty and not having any connection to my emotions when I’m crying and scared. At first I did try prove her thoughts wrong that nothing she was saying was true but it’s only isolated her more! I’m now trying to show support and be a sounding board to hear and respect her fears so now talk calmly, even though I’m dying inside and feel completely helpless! I don’t know who to get her help from and if I do it behind her back the feeling she can’t trust me will be proven right and I’m scared she will hurt herself by putting herself in an unsafe place (the streets) I don’t know what to do! I’ve even read that Covid has caused mental issues after in some cases! I’m lost 😢

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Help and advice needed

Hey @NH2020 , sorry to hear your partner is unwell. A @moderator may come along soon to provide you with some helplines you can call for advice on what to do next. Can you loop her GP in on what's happening? Is this her first episode of psychosis or does she have a history of psychosis?

I would suggest that you try to keep the house as calm an environment as you can - the last thing you need is an ad for a true crime documentary to come on and for her to think she's in danger. When I was in psychosis, I could be quite absorbed by spending time in nature, either walking in nature with a family member, or just standing in the backyard and getting secret messages from the birds.

Perhaps you could frame the MH professionals as helping with what's going on with her. If she's got a good relationship with her GP, that might help too.

Best wishes.

Hi @NH2020 ,

Off @Gwynn's tag, can recommend this is definitely something it may be worth discussing here at the SANE Help Centre with one of our professional Counsellors, you can give the helpline a call weekdays from 10am to 10pm at 1800 18 7263 to discuss options/receive emotional support around this matter.

If things escalate or become urgent/turn into a crisis, you can also try Lifeline at 13 11 14 to speak with a crisis supporter, or of course, 000 if it is an emergency situation.

Glad to see you reaching out on the boards and here supporting you through this with our whole community.

Wishing the very best,

Otter

You might like to read this, about post COVID psychosis : https://theconversation.com/post-covid-psychosis-occurs-in-people-with-no-prior-history-the-risk-is-...

Most people recover quickly with care.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance