Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 15 March, 7pm AEDT // Managing and changing your thoughts

@Polly48 wrote:

Am on a IPad and nowhere to refresh page need to get instant conversation please

Hi @Polly48,

I'm not on an ipad on myself. What server are you using - Chrome, Safari, Firefox? Depending on what server you use the refresh icon can be in different locations.

The other option is to press back, or to click the link at  the top of the page where it reads

"special events >Re: Tipic Tuesday// Tuesd, 15 March, 7pm AEDT..." That should refresh the page, but remember to scroll down and navigate to the lastest page.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 15 March, 7pm AEDT // Managing and changing your thoughts

Hi @Shimmer

Assertiveness, Anger , coping with change , making dissions

My husband said he can`t think of any at the moment

At times I've related to all of these but mainly magnifying, personalizing & emotional reasoning.

@Shaz51  it can be hard to capture thoughts - perhaps @Shimmer can explain why this might be? Are there any exercises/activities that can help with this?

Hello @Shimmer

my husband  just said - stewing over things and Panicing about things

Thanks for sharing @Shaz51 (and hubby).

Shall we take assertiveness as an example?

In the ABC model, if we look at the situation as needing to be assertive (perhaps having to say no to someone?) and the behavioural outcome as not saying no, what are the thoughts that might come up in between?

Does that sounds like a realistic enough scenario @Shaz51?

Welcome @Drac0 Smiley Happy

Wow you show a lot of insight in being able to recognise some of the unhelpful thinking styles you sometimes engage in - as @CherryBomb mentioned, it can be hard to recognise our automatic thoughts!

yes @Shimmer

@CherryBomb, it's really normal to not be aware of having any thoughts at all between a triggering situation and feeling distressed. This is because our negative automatic thoughts are part of patterns that have developed over our lifetimes, due to the experiences we have had, which influence the beliefs we develop about ourselves, others and the world. You can think of negative automatic thoughts like a habit – so automatic that you don’t even notice you are doing it.

@ Drac0 wrote:

At times I've related to all of these but mainly magnifying, personalizing & emotional reasoning.

@Shimmer could you demonstrate how these thoughts affect our behaviours and feelings?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance