Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Topic Tuesday Life After Bushfires January 2021.png

This event is open for everyone: for people with a direct experience of mental health issues as well as family, friends, loved ones and carers. It is also open to anyone impacted by bushfire, or interested in supporting those who are, whether you are joining from areas recovering from bushfires, or have been impacted by bushfires from a distance, you are welcome to join. 

Australia's Bushfires

Bushfires in Australia have long lasting impact on our communities for those who live in fire affected areas, those directly impacted by fire and for those who are looking on across the country. The last 12 months have signified a time of repairing, reforming, rebuilding and recovering for many towns and communities around Australia after the large number of fires in 2019-2020. 

Life After Bushfires

Since November 2020, SANE has had a dedicated Life After Bushfires forum filled with the stories and experiences of those recovering from bushfires.

This month we will be talking about what life after bushfires is like for individuals and communities. The last few months have marked the anniversaries for many communities since one of our worst bushfire seasons, and we have been hearing the stories of the long term impact, but also of community connection, resilience and hope.

We will be joined by one of our amazing Bushfire Ambassadors @Fizz , who many of you may have met in the Life After Bushfires Forums. Fizz is passionate about self care and wellbeing, and has lived and worked in areas impacted by bush fires, bringing a wealth of knowledge from their own experiences, and the experiences of others in their community. 

Please join us on Tuesday the 19th of January 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEDT as we discuss coping with the ongoing impact of trauma from bushfires, and share tips, strategies and resources for maintaining wellbeing. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7pm - 8.30pm AEDT on the 19th of January. Each month we focus on a different topic with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator, and joined by a Peer Support Worker. 

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text-based event takes place right here! As it is text-based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the newest comments (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye out for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post. We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for the event for overall ease of use Smiley Very Happy.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will post questions for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the event, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong, and everyone is welcome to get involved! 

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT 7-8:30PM
  • AEST- 7pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

Topic Tuesday discussions can cover some heavy topics. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

135 REPLIES 135

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hello SANE community and welcome to our first Topic Tuesday for 2021!

In 15 minutes we are going to be joined by @Fizz who is our special guest for tonight, talking to us about Life After Bushfires.

For those of you who haven’t met Fizz in the Life After Bushfire Forums, here is a little bit about Fizz:

Fizz has been associated with SANE since joining as a peer ambassador in 2018. They live in southern NSW, one of the areas which was heavily impacted and affected by the Black Summer bushfires of 2019-2020.

Through their professional work with a national human rights organisation, Fizz has strong connections with many of the affected communities on the NSW South Coast, as well as many of the other fire affected communities in the southern part of NSW - the Snowy Mountains, the Blue Mountains and Central West.

Watching fire coverage on the ABC and engaging with friends and colleagues in affected communities took their toll, Fizz under-estimated their resilience and ended up being diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder, which impacted on pre-existing depression and anxiety issues and resulted in a two-month mental health break from paid employment in March-April 2020.

Having worked with a national-wide human rights organisation since 2003 Fizz has developed a strong passion for self-care and well-being which they incorporate into their day-to-day work engagements with colleagues and volunteers across the country.

Fizz is a generous and passionate lived experience advocate who will bring all the knowledge, techniques, resources, ideas and insights from their own lived experience to this live discussion.

For all of our members and readers following along tonight, we encourage you get involved! We invite you to share your thoughts, lived experience perspectives, strategies and ideas on each of the questions posted in bold throughout the discussion, and support the posts of fellow members who bravely share their experiences.

Tagging all members who supported this post, or have posted to the Life After Bushfire forums this month!

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? You can sign up to the SANE forums and join in this conversation by replying to the posts below. If you get stuck, you can tag myself or @TideisTurning for help with responding to the discussion.

This Topic Tuesday discussion will discuss the impact of bushfires on mental wellbeing, and other themes that may be triggering. Although most of the conversation will focus on strategies and resources to cope, if you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the Life After Bushfire Forum, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

A warm welcome to everyone joining the discussion tonight about Life After Bushfires. Please join me in welcoming our special guest @Fizz!

Tonight, we are also joined by one of our amazing Peer Workers, @TideisTurning  who will be around to join in the conversation and support each of our members contributing to the discussion tonight.

You might also see @AZZ  around- AZZ has been involved in setting up the Life After Bushfires forum and content you see on the SANE website.

Before we get started, we would like to invite everyone following along to introduce yourself 🙂 

I'm Fizz I live in a small village in southern NSW and have been here for more than 20 years which is always at threat of potential fire threat - big change from living in the big smoke ie Sydney - but that's what happens when you do a tree change 😉 

Hi Everyone! I'm TideisTurning, one of Sane's Peer Workers. I'm here to help support as we talk through experiences of bushfires, and life and recovery after the bushfires. Excited to learn from the experiences and wisdom of those who'd like to share tonight 😊

Hi everyone, my name is Dasiydreamer and I am a community manager here at SANE. I am excited to learn more about ways to cope with impact of bushfires, and learn from this community tonight about how to look after mental wellbeing duirng bushfire recovery. As someone who has lived through fires in my community, this discussion and near and dear to my heart. Thank you all for being here and a huge thank you to @Fizz

Hi everyone, ill be around for a little while tonight 🙂

Let's get started with our first question:

We would love to learn more about you and the perspectives you bring to this community.
What brought you to the SANE Life After Bushfires community? And what are some of the things you are most passionate about?

We invite everyone to share your experiences!

Welcome @outlander. Happy to have you with us!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance