Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

TideisTurning
Peer Support Worker

Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

On Tuesday, 29th November, we will be joined by a special guest from Carers Victoria to talk about carer experiences, explore the challenges of being an unpaid carer and share ways of receiving support.   

November TT Carers Vic.jpg

The event start times across Australia are below:

TideisTurning_0-1668055328560.png

WA: 4pm 
NT: 5:30pm

SA: 6:30pm 

QLD: 6pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 7pm 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below and we will tag you 30 minutes before the event starts. 

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Hope to see you there in the chat on the night!

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

Hi Everyone! We will be getting started in around 15 minutes if you'd like to join, feel free. Otherwise, know the discussion will be here to read back afterwards 😊Tagging those who've supported and interacted with the thread + those online to receive a reminder in case you're interested. @Ellevie @Fenix @Shaz51 @maddison @Tuppence92 @A-Little-Lost @Annie_267  @Birdofparadise8  @Snowie @StuF @TAB @creative_writer @Bow @Dimity @Krishna @Zoe7 @Christofuuu @Faith-and-Hope 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

Welcome to everyone joining us or reading along tonight. We would first like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the various lands across Australia we are all joining this discussion from. We pay deep respect to the Elders of those Countries, past and present, and we further extend that respect to any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people with us tonight, reading along, or reading back.    

Tonight we are joined by special guest @Karen17  from Carers Victoria who I will now invite to introduce herself 😊

We would also love to hear from those in the community joining us tonight about your experiences with caring (as much as you’re comfortable to share)/ what's brought you here and what, if anything you’re hoping to get out of the discussion tonight (including any questions you might have) . @Bow @Captain24 @Eve7 @LLCoolJ @Birdofparadise8 @PartyPooper34 @StuF @TAB @Zoe7 

Hi everyone,

I’m Karen.  I am joining you this evening (well, this afternoon for those of you west of Victoria!) from the lands of the Wurundjeri peoples of the Kulin Nation.   I’d like to pay my respects to their Elders past, present and future and acknowledge any Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in this forum.  

I am a mother to 3 children and primary carer for my eldest 20-year-old child who has disabilities.  I also have had experience supporting a family member who had complex mental health issues.  My lived experience as a carer has been pretty “full on”.  I love my child but there’s lots I don’t like about being a carer.  

I have worked at Carers Victoria for nearly 5 years.  The first 3 years was working mostly one-on-one with carers struggling with the NDIS and tyring to advocate to the NDIS to better support carers.    The last 2 years have been working more with organisations to help them increase their ability to support carers.

Thanks for having me tonight.  I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it. 

Hey everyone! Looking forward to tonights discussion 🙂 

Hello @Karen17 , @TideisTurning , @amber22 😀

To get our discussion going with our first question for @Karen17What is a carer?  

A carer is someone who provides unpaid care and support to a family member or friend with care needs.  That friend or family member may be frail aged, have a chronic illness, disability or complex mental health needs.

Carers are parents, children, partners, other relatives and friends who assist with a variety of personal care, health care, transport, household and other activities. Not to be confused with paid support workers provided, for example, by the local council or NDIS.

11% (703,000) of Victorians are carers. They include 221,300 Victorians who are identified as primary carers. They play the key role in caring and assist with communication, mobility and self-care.

CARERS ARE DIVERSE

• Carers are of all ages but, are most likely to be aged 55-64.
  • 9% of all carers are under the age of 25.
  • 15% of people aged 75 years or older are carers.
  • 70% of all primary carers are women.
  • 37.5% of primary carers are reliant on a government pension or allowance as their main source of income.
  • 63% of primary carers participate in the workforce.

37% of primary carers have a gross household income in the two lowest quintile levels compared to only 23.5% of non-carers

Hello @Karen17 

I am a carer for my elderly mum who is now in the aged care part of the hospital 

And a wife of a mental illness husband who says I am not his carer 

@outlander 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance