Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@nashy wrote:

Self-care is continually revisited when caring for loved ones with mental health challenges. The reason being is, there’s a vicarious and often undetected burnout that can occur when we don’t look after ourselves in the process of caring.

The burnout being undetected is scary. How can we detect it?

The YANA resource advises: "Ask your friends and family to also watch out for signs you need more support."

I have never thought of asking my friends and family to watch out for signs in me of burnout, or signs that I need more support. Generally, I'm reluctant to bother my friends too much with my problems. But I can see that it might be necessary in this instance.

Common signs of compassion fatigue include irritability, mental and physical exhaustion, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, and denial.

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

yes @NatureLover 

most times we are looking at our love ones , and when I see mr shaz going downhill now , I will talk to him and organise a saturday to do something different 

like going for a drive, a bushwalk , photography 

@FindingStrength, @Former-Member , @Jacques 

I think that self care around an attempt can be problematic if one does not already have a plan in place and this is not often done until after the event. Knowing what we need to do can help us focus on the task. 

When researching for 8 dimensions of wellness I and across a 2017 study on The Emotional Well-Being of Nurses and Nurse Leaders in Crisis which found that

emotional follow up 16.jpg training before a disaster helped nurse responders develop a plan for their personal responsibilities so they could focus on the mission on hand... and ...the time to start training is not when the disaster occurs. In a chaotic environment, most nurses will not have the necessary reserves to begin learning new concepts ... They also found that even after a disaster has initially been resolved and it may actually be during the postcrisis period that nurse responders need the most emotional support. 

I certainly found this to be the case for myself when my husband attempted. It was after the event when I fell into a heap; there was certainly an element of vicarious trauma. It was only after the dust had settled that I was able to work on my own healing. 

After an attempt we often evaluate what is important to us, things take a back seat and the spotlight is on the person who attempted (and in one respect rightly so); however the mental health of all the family matters, it is a time when we grapple with unfamiliar and often uncomfortable emotions.  The same strategies for recovery that are given to the person that attempted apply equally to ourselves and it is not in either self interest or in the interests of those we care for that we let ourselves go. 

I often think that while setting goals can be productive  they can also be counterproductive and only add to caregiver guilt. I found that committing to a small doable step gave me a sense of achievement and spurred me into taking on something more substantial.  Routines are helpful as time is specifically allocated for self care making it easier to engage with it. I also have found that if I mention self care needs, Mr Darcy is quite amenable to seeing they happen. 

I really enjoyed the 8 dimensions of wellness  @Former-Member , it was really good 

@NatureLover@nashy@FindingStrength 

@Former-Member wrote:

I think that self care around an attempt can be problematic if one does not already have a plan in place and this is not often done until after the event. 

@Former-Member  That's interesting that people need to have self care in place before a traumatic event hits. The 8 dimensions of wellness also looks interesting, thanks for the link!

I also agree that not setting goals too high is useful. On bad days, even one or two steps of self care are good. 

@Former-Member, agreed as with @NatureLover  Love the 8 dimensions of wellness. I will be sharing this across the community heaps more - what a great resource 🙂 Vicarious trauma is very real, which why I think this new resource of SANE's is quite solid. Anything available to lean on in the moment has to be helpful to a degree Heart

I can't believe it's already day 4 of our YANA Event Thread!
 @NatureLover @Shaz51 @Former-Member @FindingStrength @Blackie  Let's kick off today with our fourth discussion area around the new You Are Not Alone resource.

Sometimes it is scary to consider building a support network when the stigma around suicide is a very real issue. People may respond differently than they would to other health issues. There are many services that can support you through this if you don’t feel comfortable reaching out to your own personal community - such as GPs, community mental health teams and culturally specific mental health services. In addition to our forums, what are some other networks of support you have found helpful as a carer? Heart

@nashy wrote:

Sometimes it is scary to consider building a support network when the stigma around suicide is a very real issue.  

In addition to our forums, what are some other networks of support you have found helpful as a carer? Heart

From my lived experience perspective, I found the CATT team was a good resource, as they changed my medication from one anti-depressant to a stronger one capable of building up to a higher dose. That was the start of my recovery.

There are sometimes waiting lists for support services - I found that I had to wait 3 months to get in to see the psychiatrist that the hospital referred me to, at a time when I was intensely suicidal. That was really tough. But it was worth it, as she was an excellent psychiatrist who also did talk therapy, which is unusual for psychiatrists.

While I was waiting and didn't have a psychiatrist, my GP was a great support. I was seeing her weekly and she gave me a lot of extra time every session, and essentially saved my life many times during that time. I will never forget what she did for me.

I'm like one of those comic strips that have regular recaps under the heading "for those who came in late..." Only came across this last night. 🙂 May I "backcomment" on a few of the previous day's talking points, once I've done a catch up read through?

Re. suicide...

We're (self and Hubby) in a position where there's an atypical pattern of "attempts". Our Older Daughter frequently (habitiually) self harms, almost always requiring medical care. She has also had a pattern of suicidal ideation for years. There have been some definite suicide attempts, but there have also been a lot of grey-area incidents that are possibly more correctly defined as "self harm with suicidal ideation". Problem is, all of these have happened so frequently that we've reached a point where our reaction is "ah no, not again", followed by mutual silence... and then we try to get on with our "day as normal". It's just not possible to react "all stops pulled out" when it's a frequently repeated situation. We have no idea if she'll survive long term, we have times when the possibility of imminent disaster is higher than usual, but the threat is always there, and somehow "life otherwise" has to keep ticking over in the meantime.

We see a psychologist ourseves regularly, but there too we have the problem that we can't keep re-covering the same things, even though it's a constant blur of ongoing trauma. It's not a case of "the attempt" is in the past, we need to deal with the resultant post-traumatic stress and somehow move on. The trauma never reaches the point of "post". Our latest appointment, I basically gave a recap of the stresses of the past few weeks, then desribed what we'd done to get ourselves back on our feet afterwards. For me, that was forcing myself to go out and do stuff in the garden, even though I felt flattened, because I knew from past experience that doing something productive and outdoorsy would help lift my mood. For Hubby, it was similar, but his "something productive" tends to involve tools. 🙂 And we're Christians, we pray, we've got a supportive church community, some of whom have personal experience in caring for a mentally ill family member, and some who have a medical background. Over time, more and more people in the church have learned about our daughter's mental illness, so, with some caution for her privacy (she goes to the same church) and also care that we don't go into "TMI" and cause trauma to others... we've found we're able to be more open about what happens, and we don't need to spend as much time and energy explaining why we're exhausted/not working etc. To some extent, similar has happened in our small town community too.

Our local area actually has a very proactive "end of life care" hub, where people can access specific counselling and therapy around death and dying. We've wondered about enquiring about whether they've got any relevant support for us, but are a bit uncertain about doing so. The concern that someone you love may die as a result of suicide is different to the certainty that someone you love is dying from a terminal illness. Some of their therapy sessions are focussed around things like celebrating memories of the person's life, how to spend positive time with someone in palliative care, and things like finding positive ways to commemorate and celebrate the life they had via their funeral, but suicide attempts don't really mesh in with such an approach. There's an extra level of horror at someone losing their life by their own deliberate act. To the point where funerals for someone who has died in such a way are surrounded with euthemisms and guessing games. With good reason in some senses, given that a suicide often triggers attempts within the person's family and friends. But it all adds to the stigma around suicide, and makes it hard to talk about the hovering threat of such a thing happening.

Being a bit blunter than usual here @nashy, since it's the specific topic of the day. Hoping I'm not breaching any guidelines....

I feel blessed that I was well supported.

Socially, even though I had not wanted to move before Mr D became acutely unwell (I was unaware at the time that he was hypomanic) I  believe in Divine intervention and believe that God was watching over us at the time of Mr D's attempt. I could not have asked for a better support network that the people at our church gave to me and to us. They were loving and kind, supportive and inclusive; they did not view him as intellectually incompetent post the event.  I had a wonderful 'understanding friend' who would meet me for coffee and encourage me. I do miss her since moving interstate to be closer to family but believe we were where we were for that season of our lives.

I did need professional support and was grateful for the carer support worker from Wellways who visited me along with attending their "Building a future" snapshot class, the short term counseling from Carers Australia and the longer term counseling provided by a rural support network. My GP at the time too was lovely. I was also grateful to 2 of Mr Darcy's pdocs who gave me some advice which I followed up on.

@Smc wrote:

We see a psychologist ourseves regularly, but there too we have the problem that we can't keep re-covering the same things, even though it's a constant blur of ongoing trauma. It's not a case of "the attempt" is in the past, we need to deal with the resultant post-traumatic stress and somehow move on. The trauma never reaches the point of "post". 

Oh gosh, how incredibly difficult, @Smc ... I can't imagine how traumatic that must be. 😞

Thank you for sharing...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance