Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@nashy@NatureLover@Blackie , @Former-Member , @frog 

Self-care for carers
1)   Accepting the ups and downs of hope, hopelessness and hope again can enhance your wellbeing. Feelings pass, and your hope will return.

2)   The stress of caring for someone in this situation is real and it’s okay to talk about it. Find people who allow you to discuss your thoughts and feelings honestly and without judgement.

3)   Connect with people who have had the same experience.

Go with the supports that work for you, whether that is a peer support group or services in your local community, or online services like SANE’s Carers Forum and Help Centre.

4)  Take time out for yourself. Whether you prefer exercise, reading a book or mindfulness exercises, it is important to give yourself a break.

5)    You can keep healthy by exercising regularly (for example, going for a 30 minute walk each day), eating a nutritious diet, and sleeping well (aim for 7–9 hours a night).

6)    Make and keep time to take care of your own needs — for example, getting to your GP for regular check-ups, meeting with friends and attending carer groups or network meetings.

7)     Be clear about where your boundaries are and how much support you are able to give the person you care about. Make sure the level of support you provide doesn’t impact on your own mental health.

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@Shaz51  an epsom salt bath is a great idea!

@Worried73@greenpea , thinking of you xx

epsom salt bath is a great idea!-- yes very relaxing @NatureLover 

Love going and getting my hair done which is nice 

some members have massages too , have not had one in a while 

Thanks for the nudge @Shaz51 

Really challenging times here, so that new resource could be just what I need right now. Being diligent with daily self care strategies, am in a waiting game for now.

Best wishes to everyone out there. Heart

Nice to meet you, @FindingStrength ... well done for keeping up with your self care strategies, which is not always easy I find. 

Really challenging times here, , awwww my @FindingStrength , here for you my friend if you want to chat 

sitting with you HeartHeart

did I hear "Coffee time "

Make a time to care for your own needs - preach!@Shaz51A carers needs are just as important too, easy to forget that at times. Heart

Hey @FindingStrength Sorry to hear of the challenging times you're up against. Certainly the resource is there for you, as well as the community too Heart Sitting with you.

very true @nashy 

carers just keep going and going , finding that balance is the key 

you might start self care ok and then things happen and loved ones get sick or unwell 

a couple of weekends a go we actually did this 

corgi.png

ha ha it was totally wonderful @NatureLover@FindingStrength , @Former-Member , have to do it again 

Haha, that's great, @Shaz51  😄

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance