Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

sage28
Casual Contributor

i don’t want to lose my younger sister

Hi. It’s my first time using this forum, i hope i’m doing it correctly. this post may be dark, i’m sorry. i feel i need to get it off my chest. i hope i am in the right place to do that without negatively impacting anyone else. 

my whole family has experienced trauma. i had an undiagnosed illness that left me in wheelchair for two years, and my family sort of crumbled during that time. my younger sibling has always been my best friend. she has gotten me through some very dark times, without even knowing it. i never let her know how low i was, but she kept me laughing. i always tried to protect her from the darkest things. i was okay to let them fall on me. all i wanted was for her to be safe and happy. 

she has mental health issues, that much we know. we aren’t sure what it is exactly, yet. we are trying everything to get her the support she needs. still, she relies on me - and me alone - to be there for her. as she holds resentment against our parents for past issues. i have always taken that on as my duty, to be there for her completely. no matter the cost to myself. i’m 19. 

her mental health has deteriorated recently. she has periods of extreme highs, and extreme lows. when she is in these heightened states, she drinks. and she engages in self-harm, and other dangerous behaviours. including seeking out adults in my home town who will give her alcohol and drugs. my family has tried everything to help. we have taken her to the hospital, stayed up all night to watch her, begged her not to run away, tried many different medications, tried to reason with her, bargain with her. everything apart from physically restraining her, though sometimes it crosses my mind. the logical part of her brain doesn’t work during these times, she says. she doesn’t have any empathy. no emotion. all that matters to her during these times is how she can do exactly what she wants to do - all of this she tells me once she comes down. 

i don’t recognise her anymore. she lies to me constantly. i cant trust a word she says. she manipulates me, abandons me, says horrible things to me. it breaks my heart. i have taken it, every time. and every time she apologises, but it keeps happening. i try and seperate her from her mental illness but it’s getting harder and harder. i don’t get a break, not even for a day. and i know that’s selfish to say when she is going through it herself. but she has told me she doesn’t feel remorse when she’s in those states - doesn’t feel sad or in pain. and sometimes i long for a day where i don’t feel any of that. i cant sleep because i’m watching her, cant leave my house because i cant leave her alone. i leave work often just because she says she is feeling bad. i take all of the horrible things she says to me and do my best to never take my pain out on her. but i feel like i am starting to resent her. i’m finding it harder to like her, because i’m constantly waiting for her to break my heart again. i don’t want to lose my best friend but i don’t know how to keep going. i don’t know how to help her. all i want to do is help her. 

my parents don’t understand mental health. they struggle to be understanding about it. and they have fought about it with my sister in the past, which is why she will only answer me when i call. will only let me take her to the hospital when she self-harms. and on rare occasions when we can calm her down, i’m the only one she’ll listen to. i don’t want to be selfish, i hate myself for having these thoughts. but sometimes when i’m at work i dread going home. and i wish i could stay just a little longer, so i didn’t have to face it. 

i don’t know what to do. and no one is helping me. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: i don’t want to lose my younger sister

Hi there @sage28 

Welcome to the forums. I can totally sense the care and commitment you have toward your sister and her wellbeing. And it's totally understandable to be overwhelmed with the idea that she is completely reliant on you. Especially at your young age. My own daughter is 18 and I cannot imagine her taking the sort of responsibility that you have taken on. 

It's super important to get good support for yourself in this situation so I'm glad you found us here at SANE.

There are a few support options for yourself that may be worth taking a look at. I'll add the links here: 

https://www.littledreamers.org.au/ 

https://www.carersnsw.org.au/services-and-support/programs-services/young-carers/young-carer-program... 

https://youngcarersnetwork.com.au/ 

I hope others in similar situations will reach out to you and offer support. 

Sending warmest wishes

Hanami

Hi @sage28

Welcome to the Forums. I am one of the peer support workers at SANE - it is nice to have you with us. 

I just finished reading your post and my heart goes out to you and your sibling. Your story resonates with me as I have been in a similar position to you. Many years ago (about 20 years) a close family of mine was acting out in ways I didn't recognise in them. Their moods were erratic, they were drinking to excess, they could be aggressive and nasty. They also didn't trust anyone but myself and lent on me a lot. Sometimes their needs were just too much for me and I felt like I was sinking under the weight of supporting them. They also (on occasion) would say very nasty things to me and projected a lot their frustrations onto me. It was a lot and it was emotionally draining. Like you, sometimes I would try to do anything to avoid them. It was a lot for anyone but when it constantly and solely sits on your shoulders it is a big burden to bear.

Over the years my family member received a diagnosis, medical intervention and treatment and is a lot better than they were all those years ago but I still remember how hard those times were. 

As a carer I can't stress enough the importance of you taking care of you too in all this. You need to be able to share this load with someone whether that be a a counsellor, therapist, GP, trusted friend, etc. The carer needs care to. What I learned from my experience was the importance of boundaries, saying no if I needed to, taking care of my own needs and recognising that was not selfish but extremely necessary. I also had to realise that I wasn't anyones `punching bag' - even my family member's. Whilst I would be there for anyone that I love I have since realised I can only do it as much as I can. At the end of the day you can only help someone so much, be there for them so much, do so much, etc. We can fight for our loved ones all I we want but if our loved ones don't fight too it wont work.  

Please don't feel guilty for how you are feeling around your sibling. The thing about feelings is they are innate - they are what they are due to what is going on around you and a human response. Even the strongest get worn down and from what you have said and gone through it's not surprising you feel the way you do. You actually sound like an amazing sibling - very caring and nurturing. 

Keep posting on the Forums as there are many understanding and kind people who would be able to relate to how you are feeling. For further support you may like to contact Carers Australia Carers Australia whose focus is on taking care of carers like yourself.

I wish you and your sibling all the best. I really hope things improve for you both very soon.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Thank you so much for responding and sharing these resources with me. I really do appreciate it. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for your kind words. It means a lot to me that you took the time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance