Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: forgetfulness with antipsychotic medications

@Shaz51  thank you my sister shaz51. That does comfort me as I am anxious atm and do have many worries.....Heart Love to mr shazxxx

@Faith-and-Hope  Thanks Faith-and-Hope yours and Shaz51's words do help me feel alot calmer. Take a deep breath aye and soldier on as there is not much more I can do about it than I already am ...

@greenpea @Shaz51

Heart

@Faith-and-Hope is right about stress.

I have often seemed forgetful and socially vague.  There was always so much stress and so many different social things to consider. I still am stretched, forget people's names and all sorts of things.  I have only been on low dose antipsychotics last few years so I cant blame them.  Its just me. I lose my glasses and keys often.  Found 2 old sets of glassess out in the garden a year later ... or under the bed ...

Take care of you. Talk about it with doc.  Your situation may be more stable now and they may support some reductions ... its kinda why I do my gently bently.

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  Thanks Apple I am due to see her (pdoc) on Wednesday. She is adament that I stay on medications or she will put me in the public system and that means depot injections. I am stuck unless I can swing something like @Eden1919  has done which I dont think I can as I am a danger to myself  so there you go the awful truth is I am stuck in this situation unless I do a runner of course ..... how tempting is that.

@greenpea  Sorry for the late reply I have been having some issues lately. As for your concerns with the memory issues there are a few things that can make that happen. (Aside from the mental illness itself)

1.sleep problems

2. Age

3. Mental overload 

as for medications there is some evidence to suggest they can have an impact on memory but not a lot has been studied in that regard of the ones I can remember reading about there was issues with loss/reduction in grey matter with long term use of antipsychotics and a correlation between antipsychotics and long term use and increased risk of like dementia type stuff but there was nothing conclusive and it is hard to find control groups for such studies. 

I am sorry you are so trapped in this situation it really frustrates me that doctors often don’t listen to their patients in regards to meds even if it works in some way you shouldn’t have to put up with such shitty side effects. 

@Eden1919  Hey Eden1919 always good to hear from you. I knew you would be able to clarify a few things regarding my question :). I am 55 so there could be some kind of decline starting but shouldnt be too much just yet (one would hope :o!). I feel 'Mental overload' is spot on .... the big test will be when I start studyig again in June.... can I juggle it and look after myself and my kidults? only sucking it and see will show.

Interesting what you say about long time use of anti psychotics ..... it is something the worries me. peaxxx

@greenpea  The mental load thing is hard because it is different for everyone I think if you are studying something you enjoy and if you pace yourself then it should be ok that being said having to look after others can make things complicated. I personally think studying helped me with a lot of things just keeping your mind active is always a good thing. It definitely helped me to keep my mind more in this world as I had other things to focus on. As for the long term stuff yeah the studies that they have done on long term use for antipsychotics in particular have not had any more benifit than going off the meds specifically the study I looked at was saying that after a year the relapse rates for people with schizophrenia were no different or in some cases more often in the group that stayed on antipsychotics vs the people who discontinued. There was also some on quality of life outcomes and those were again better after a year in the group who stopped the meds. And significantly better after 5 years with people off the meds. I think one of the issues is that the actual testing time for a lot of the psych meds is around 6-8 weeks in human trials so before they are released that is the amount of time they have been tried in humans so a lot of the reported effectiveness is in relation to the short term also in the trials for psych meds their success rate so what they define as a success for helping is if it has helped 30% or more patients. And particularly in relation to antidepressants there was almost no different between the drug and the placebo for affective ness when using an active placebo. 

Btw I cannot link the studies cause it was in a paper book I was reading. 

@Eden1919  yes at times I feel my mind 'trailing off' and I have to actually physically pull it back in so study will be good like that and yes it is a subject that I am particularly interested in so am crossing fingers and toes. Thank you for your perspectives on medications vs no meds I always find your input interesting and informative (always makes me think :). Love peaxx

@greenpea  I am also always trailing off which is why I can’t do online study I have to be face to face so I can take physical notes otherwise I won’t have payed any attention even if I like the topic. 

@Eden1919  How do you cope in a class full of people? the stimuli of everyone there talking to the lecturer etc .... I am not sure I could cope with that....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance