Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

forgetfulness with antipsychotic medications

Hi everyone has anyone experienced the above. I feel I am getting more forgetful just not as quick as what I was when I was med free..... I am terrified of a mental decline due to these meds. peax

23 REPLIES 23

Re: forgetfulness with antipsychotic medications

Hey @greenpea   I might have mentioned this before, but I keep a daily chart including a list of all meds which I tick off when I take them.  7am, 7pm and 9pm - I also have alarms set on my phone for these times.  It works for me.  I know it sounds like a bit of a drag, but it sure beats missing them sometimes and only takes a moment to do.  I'm on 8 meds all together so I really need to keep track of what I take and when.  Most of them need to be taken either 12 hourly or at the same time once a day.  It seems to me that if I was to miss some sometimes I'd be back in the whole business of adjusting to doses all the time.  For me, I do a lot better when things are more stable including routine times for meds.  You can download and print charts for free online.  e.g.  

Image result for bipolar mood chart

https://www.google.com/search?q=bipolar+mood+chart&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBAU749AU749&sxsrf=ALeKk00dCl...

Hope this is helpful to you.

@eth  Oh I remember my meds. I take them when my son2 takes his so we always remember but I am getting forgetful in my speech of day to day things and getting salad speech at times.  Nothing too bad just the occsional thing I forget and have to pause and then it comes to me .... I am 55 not 70ish so I would expect to be more with it.

That being said my support worker was saying she was surprised I had schizoaffective disorder as I function really well for people who dont know .... I hide it well at times as long as I am medicatied correctly but the meds are also playing havoc with the way my brain functions.

Sorry @greenpea  I misunderstood.  I have moments too when I can't think of the right word or forget what I was about to do or the last thought I had ... for me I tend to think this is caused more by anxiety levels than anything else.  This morning I found a packet of licquorice that I'd put in the drawer where I keep hand towels and batteries!  I do fear dementia tho' as a couple of people in my family have had it, Nanna was early onset, so I hear you on this.

@eth  yes it is a worry. I notice at times my daughter gives me a worrying look as I stumble over my words..... I know my pdoc said that keeping on the meds is the best way to keep the brain and mind healthy but when this happens I am still anxious.

I get it @greenpea  xx

but the meds are also playing havoc with the way my brain functions.

my sister @greenpea , I know exately what you mean HeartHeart

Mr shaz are on those meds ( not allow to say the name )

but he says  ~ some days he feels his head is not on "

he has lost his keys, mower keys -- ( i find them )

some days i think he is worse some days  than other days , 

@Shaz51  yes I stumble over words. It is generally a single word or thought and then it will come to me. I am worried it is the beginnings of something quite serious. Sorry to hear that mr shaz is going through a siimilar thing. :(xxx

@greenpea  you said ----  I am worried it is the beginnings of something quite serious.

My sister @greenpea Heart

mr shaz thinks the same 

so I am encouraging mr shaz and  you , not to overthink about it as there could be other reasons such as being busy , being anxious , ect 

you are not alone my sister xoxo

@Appleblossom@CheerBear@Faith-and-Hope@eth 

I agree with @Shaz51.  I become forgetful under stressful situations @greenpea, and that has something to do with the way we recall information too.  Stress can interfere with that, which is why we can't find something when we are all stewed up about it, then when we are drifting off to sleep, or watching tv, or taking to someone about something else, we sudd not remember where the thing is ..... because we weren't feeling stressed and the memory could be accessed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance