Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Worried2
New Contributor

Worried about bipolar 1 son psychotic

Hello this is my first time on a Carers site. I’m so worried and exhausted. My son has been suffering with mental illness for 11 yrs. he is 24.

he is diagnosed as bipolar 1 by his psychiatrist but has also been told he has Schizoaffective disorder. He has cyclic vomiting syndrome as well and it all goes off at the same time he vomits and screams for days. I try to help him. I sit beside him through his psychotic episodes and it breaks my heart. I’m so anxious myself because it is unpredictable as to when it’s going to happen. He can go for a few months ok and then it will be happening for weeks. Everything I say or the slightest movement will make him scream. He gets so dehydrated from continued vomiting that we usually end up at the emergency department to get fluid drip. The waiting room is traumatic for him and for me trying to keep him calm. He has been sick for the last week with a couple of good days in the middle. I need to get him to hospital but he is freaking out over going. He has just fallen asleep again but he is about to run out of  calming meds which’s is the only thing that calms him down. He won’t ask the doctor for more because he thinks the doctor will think he is just seeking meds.... please help I don’t know what to do next 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Worried about bipolar 1 son psychotic

@Worried2 

Does your son have a case worker you could contact  and/ or health & safety plan you could implement?

Re: Worried about bipolar 1 son psychotic

He won’t ask the doctor for more because he thinks the doctor will think he is just seeking meds.-- could you ask for them @Worried2 

@greenpea, @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance