Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bamzowee
Casual Contributor

Trouble with my sister.

My sister, who is 43 with diagnosed social and generalised anxiety, is not medicated and is having some issues.

She caught covid in November and since then has had trouble with her smell. This has therefore made her anxiety flare up terribly.

She has spoken to and seen many doctors about this who say it’s related to covid and the bit of inflammation she has in her sinuses. They prescribe sprays to help, which as soon as she uses she believes that they have taken her smell away even more. She has also taken supplements to assist in sinus problems, but then also believes it is them that have broken her smell too.

She has had a CT scan and seen an ENT who has said she has no issues and it is just the covid and small amount of inflammation.

However, even after all this she thinks she is doomed and will never have her smell back.

She has been withdrawn from us for a while but it is progressively getting worse and she barely is eating due to the fact she can’t smell anything so “what’s the point”.

She is rapidly losing weight and all attempts at getting her to start on anxiety medication or anti depressants won’t work as she reads the side effects of anything and finds it to say “smell loss”.

She has set up smells in rooms of the house and will go and smell through a cracked up door and when she can’t smell it she spirals downwards.

We have been trying to reassure her but she does not listen or cares.

She has always had high levels of medical anxiety even when she was a child. This is now taking it to a new level and I am concerned for her.

She has never been suicidal or threatens anything like that. At the moment she is saying she can’t go on if she can’t smell anything. I don’t think she Is immediate danger but I do think she needs help.

I don’t know what to do. This has been going on for almost two months

I too had covid at the same time and am still having issues with my taste and smell, but that doesn’t matter to her as she thinks hers is worse and will never return.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Trouble with my sister.

Hey @Bamzowee ,

I can hear how concerning this may be @Bamzowee . 

Losing a sense of smell is not just about smell, but is linked to taste as well.

Would long covid clinics be able to offer any new insights?

I think it's also important that you yourself are supported at this time.

What are some things you do for self-care?

Hi @tyme 

thanks for your response. 

she has seen gps and they have mentioned long covid, but not with any help. We do not have any long covid clinics nearby. 

I don’t live with my sister so I am still doing what I normally do, but obviously still concerned about her most of the time

@Bamzowee , I have heard that the sense of smell does eventually come back. Fingers crossed that it's just taking your sister a little longer than expected.

While she waits, I hope there is support for her so that her anxiety doesn't get even work than what it already is.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers - it sounds like a waiting game.

For me, it took several weeks for me to be able to breathe properly again. It was longer than other people, so I thought there was something seriously wrong... however, overnight, it sort of got better - but in its own time...

Hi
It’s hard to understand what she’s going thru especially with her anxiety I suffer really bad anxiety and it’s to another level any little symptom will trigger us and honestly she needs help because you feel like your dying slowly she can see doctors, Pyschs no one will help her understand because it’s in our heads , she needs support from family and friends and it’s so draining always thinking about what will happen next I hope this helps you

Hi @Isabella10 @Bamzowee , How are you both?

Thanks for your reply @Isabella10  Would you recommend any ways that we could try to get her to seek help?  

Still much the same. I’m trying to be as helpful and supportive as I can, but it gets very hard and upsetting.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance