Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tiggeroo
Senior Contributor

Our failing mental health system...

Hey all, 

Its been a while! But alas, hello!

Im here as the bipolar bear and I are in a rutt... with very steep sides and a muddy gross sludge at the bottom. i dont know what to do and im so fed up, so im seeking your help/advice!

Bipolar Bear currently runs a BPII diagnosis, he has had psychosis so it isnt right but we will get to that I promise. He sits mostly in a depressive state, he cant work as it induces stress and triggers suicidal behaviours, he is just generally... unhappy. He has meds, i guess they help... he goes to psych... 

he has extensive childhood trauma and as a result is no contact with his FoO... wonderful... they arent making him worse, but we are completely alone support wise. He has an eating disorder (undiagnosed) from the childhood trauma, and was treated for ADD as a child but FoO stopped treatment as they dont believe in mental health issues. 

Which brings me to right now... we are currently living right on the corner of struggle street and "this is all too hard lets just give up" Avenue... GP is great... but probably out of his depth here (arent they all???), asked for referral to new psychiatrist with 3 goals, meds review as they are not working, diagnosis review re: BPII to BP1?, diagnosis and treatment plans for eating disorder and ADD so we can apply for NDIS assistance for him and just generally get him heading... anywhere better than here. 

$500 later we left with none of the above and a handball to another psychiatrist... so we need a new referral, we will wait another 10 weeks for an appointment with this one... and the 291 item number is also chewed up for no outcome so we will pay another $500 and get less medicare rebate. 

Bipolar bear is not "serious" enough for public mental health (CAT Team says no)... but to serious for GP... and the private system is fundmentally broken (flashbacks of the 3 times we have needed inpatient (private) only to be told there were no admitting doctors/beds/excuses available). 

WHAT DO I DO GUYS???? 

We still need the 3 goals addressed, mental stability in both of us is deteriorating by the day and there is just no pathway to help... 

I have lodged a complaint about our recent psychiatrist... as a start i would like my $500 back (oh i forgot we are also 3 weeks out from that and there is still no recommendations or correspondence with our GP who referred...) 

We are getting an eating disorder plan done today which will allow additional psych visits under medicare and some dietitian visits (not really a priority now but i guess down the line will help)

who do i complain too?

how do i get anyone with a bloody medical degree to help my bipolar bear? 

how do i fix this???

I know there is going to be others in this boat too... how do I cope with the frustration of wanting to help, of seeing him want help... and just not getting it despite trying what feels like everything???

any and all advice welcome, im about to become "that" crazy person who yells at doctors and hospital staff about how broken everything is... and the saddest part is I work in this system... so if i cant negotiate it who the hell can!!!!

Tigz 

xx

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Our failing mental health system...

Affraid it is true. There are not enough psychiatrists or other good MH professionals.  One has to keep going and turn over as many stones as possible, or keep knocking  on doors to find out what works. There are some very good M/Health Gps out there as well but it is no substitute for a good psychiatrist or psychologist.  Let us know what you find. 

Re: Our failing mental health system...

Hi there @Tiggeroo , 

Welcome back to the forums! 

I am very sorry to hear how challenging and frustrating things have been for you and Bipolar Bear. I am glad to hear that the GP has been great in supporting you through this. I do hear your frustration with having to change psychiatrists and then having to wait for sometime until the appointment. If you have a complaint you would like to make about a service, it may be helpful to check out this link here

Besides the forums, have you considered reaching out to the SANE Help Centre? We have very skilled and great counsellors who can listen and work with you through challenging times. They are available 10am to 10pm Monday to Friday via Phone - 1800 18 7263, Web-chat or “book a call” with them here.

Take care, 

Peonies 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance