Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

StarZee
New Contributor

My partner hears voices

My partner hears voices that are often very disturbing and he thinks they are coming from the random people near by, so he tells abuse at them. It's mortifying and distressing. He recently lost his job because he was convinced a girl was calling him gay, so he abused her.

I don't know what to do to stop this happening.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: My partner hears voices

@StarZee  Hey StarZee welcome to the forums. Firstly encourage your partner to make an appointment with his/her gp and then maybe onto a psychologist. So many questions to be asked does your partner use or ever has used drugs. Is there a family history of mental illness but first take a visit to the gp. Do not tell your partner  he/she is hearing things as that will only stress them and he/she wont believe you. Good luck and keep us posted. greenpeax

Re: My partner hears voices

As peas @greenpea said, if they have a history of drug or alcohol use they have to completely detox for a significant period of time before an accurate diagnosis can be made, because the symptoms of withdrawal from SAD can mimic MI @StarZee 

That said, auditory hallucinations appear to freak shrinks out in this country and Australia shows itself to be the ignorant colony at the butt end of the world and light years behind the UK and parts of the USA in dealing with them. They tend to jump to the conclusion of a psychotic illness. AH were featured on SBS on Insight last year or the year before......it is not uncommon if a person has had trauma, especially sexual trauma. A book that resonated with me in terms of the degree of child abuse I was subjected to was Dr Bruce Perry's The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog....he's written about AH in traumatised populations and you don't feel so freaked out by them if you read his research.

Corny 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance