Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: In it for the long haul...

@Smc 

Trust all is as well as can be for you. 

@Smc , thinking of you and hope you are OK xx

Hi @Shaz51 @Determined et al...

Haven't updated this thread for a bit.

Older Daughter's had a bad run over the past couple of months, with increased SH and a couple of sub-critical ODs. She's linked these bad patches in to increased "voices" for ages, but the local public MH team has insisted that it's a behavioural problem, not psychosis linked, due to the fact that she's on anti-psychotics but still does all the above. They've continued to refuse to see her in ED so that they're not "reinforcing" her behaviour... gee that's really worked over time... not! You'd think given it was spectacularly unsuccessful they'd try something else?

But this latest run got so bad that they agreed to do some appointments and visits for a limited time. They adjusted her medication (timing and dose) and guess what... the "voices" have gone quiet for the first time in about a decade.

Part of me is relieved that it's working, part of me is kinda mad that they didn't take the possibility of  psychosis seriously sooner. Could have saved her a lot of physical injury, the medical system a lot of ambulance callouts and emergency ward hours, and everyone a huge amount of stress.

We're not out of the woods as such though. Despite a quiet mind, she did do some serious SH last weekend, requiring another drive down to a big city hospital for complex repairs. So there is still a thing of years of mental habits to break. Nothing since though, and she's making a real effort to adjust to the strangeness (for her) of not having so much internal noise. We'll wait and see how things progress. We're encouraging her to fill the gaps with healthy noise, such as listening to music, which is something she enjoys at any time

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance