Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

New Contributor

How do you get them to go to counselling

my almost 15yr daughter has depression and major body image issues with a history of self harm.  No traumatic experience that i know of.  She is recovering from anorexia but now just thinks she ugly.  She had a bad experience with head space and I don't know how to get her back to counselling.  Should I make her go with threat of punishment   eg "no roblox"  or does it not work if they are forced.

1 REPLY 1

Re: How do you get them to go to counselling

Hi 5552,

I don't know I can offer much help except something learnt through a similar problem. I'm a carer for my sister and she has many mental health struggles and I have tried various ways to get her to see a psychologist and I found the more I pushed it the more she would go like I asked but she would clam up and essentially she was physically their but not mentally if that makes any sense?

anyway, the way I found to remotely help in getting her to both attend and participate is I would acknowledge after how much of a struggle that must have been for her and then after wald we would go do something together that was both nice and relaxing. for example one session she not only went but opened up a little so afterwards, we had a chat in the car about how hard it can be and how it can get easier but takes time to find a psychologist who is a right fit for her (she had 2 bad experiences with some so we tried various places) anyway after out chat and knowing I acknowledged how hard it was for her to show how I was both proud of her for going and communicating and trying we went and had a bit of girl time and got our nails done. 

I meanwhile it may work i found for me it had the opposite affect and found that they closed up from me too and it just took some convincing and time to see that they are all not the same very much how teachers and friends are not the same. you can have multiple English teachers, they all teach the same subject but they all have their own unique way of teaching it and each way works for different people. Its pretty much the same with Psychologists.

i dont know how good my advice is but it may possibly be of help.

good luck its a hard one

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance