Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

TKO
New Contributor

Do I stay?

Hi All.

I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm even in the right place.

So my partner and I have been together 25 years with 7 children.

In that time he has never been diagnosed as he feels its a western label ( mental illness)

Over those years we've dealt with paranoia on and off.

Our house being bugged people out to get us the list goes on.

I've dealt with it in a number of different ways probably none the right  way. But we get past it til the next time.

He smokes weed daily.

Not on medication.

At this stage he's now under the belief that I'm performing dark magic on him that I've cursed him?? He thinks our children don't respect him.

He is a good loving man but the conspiracy theory and social media influence is consuming him. He believes these psychics who send out mass messages are talking directly to him as it resonates with his soul.

I do love him and I've tried for so long to support but how do I stay in this if he sees me as the problem.

Sad lost confused.😢

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do I stay?

Hello @TKO 

I don't think the marijuana will be doing his mental illness any good. Marijuana is in fact known for causing paranoid delusions and psychosis.

Possibly try to get him to give up the habit if possible.  

You sound like you love your husband but your husband is in denial about his mental illness.

This is very common its called "not having insight" People with mental illness tend to deny they have an illness at all until the next episode happens. 

I don't know how you get him to be treated unless he displays harmful behaviour to himself or possibly others which is sufficient grounds to have him sectioned in a hospital under the mental health act.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It must be hard weathering the storms.

If you can't put up with it anymore and have alternative living arrangements planned then that may be the only solution. The only problem is your husband may have an episode over the relationship ending. I sense he is very dependent on you.

Only you can make that decision if you have had enough

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Re: Do I stay?

Hey there @TKO 

I'm sorry that you're finding it challenging right now. That does sound like you've been through a lot. I wonder if you've spoken to anyone else about what you're going through right now? Whether that is formally (a professional) or informally (to a friend or loved one about what you've gone through)? Sometimes having a support system can be really helpful to just get things off your chest when you're experiencing so many challenging times on top of each other.

It might also be helpful to speak to someone in terms of your paranoia. I know that that can be very overwhelming to deal with for so long, and you and your partner don't have to deal with it alone!

On the same note, does your partner have any support systems that they can go to to speak about what they might be experiencing? It might help him to realise that you are trying to help him, rather than hinder him, and that you aren't the problem at all for trying to help him get better. 

Sending you lots of hugs and sitting with you during this time,

Amber22

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance