Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Gynxi
New Contributor

Carer is no longer coping

My 40 year old brother suffers from Paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar, my parents have always been his carers but now that they are both in their 70s it's becoming very clear that they can no longer cope with caring for him. He cannot handle living alone and no one in the family can take him in. I'm not aware of any housing options available to help someone like my brother so would be very grateful for any information.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Carer is no longer coping

I am also interested in finding an answer to this question about suitable housing options.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Gynxi 

There are some supported accommodation options which you might want to look into - let me know what state you are in and I can send you some links. Public mental health care teams do have social workers who would also be aware of local options and likely waiting times or intake criteria.  I met a lady at some carer psych education I attended whose son was in such accommodation. From  the sound of it, she still provided a lot of support to him.

Hi Darcy,

We are located in NSW but close to the Vic border so would be able to look into options for both states.

Hello @Gynxi Heart

@Former-Member, @patientpatient@greenpea 

Former-Member
Not applicable
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance