Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Boo13
Community Guide

Any tips on how to help a loved one with the physical impacts of MI?

Hi,

My teenage son has schizophrenia.  He is doing really well at the momenta X I am so proud of him.  My fear is the impact that his medication and illness has had on his physical health.  Since July 2017, my son has put on nearly 30 kgs.  He has trialled a lot of different medications and this has also included metformin.  He is disinterested in doing much exercise, despite encouragement.  He buys junk food daily and throws healthy food away whenever he gets the opportunity.

i am fearful that he will die very young if he doesn't change his habits.  I have to tread carefully with any comments because he gets very irritated and late last year attempted suicide soon after I commented about his weight.

we started a free gym program for people with MI at the beginning of the year, but he soon lost interest and stopped.  Should I make an appointment with his GP for a health check?  Does anyone have any tips about what else I can do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Any tips on how to help a loved one with the physical impacts of MI?

Hi @Boo13 yes the problems re medications .... I am going through my own battles re weight gain and medications and same with my son. It has gotten so bad I am seriously considering giving up the meds .... even with healthy food it will put on weight because it makes you so hungry and tired.

Imagine being mentally ill and having body image problems as well.... your son is only young  If possible I would take him to see his pschologist and psychiatrist about it as he is not alone. He is probably depressed and who could blame him mi is no picnic in the park. Hard enough being a teenager and then to have schizophrenia on top of that comfort eating could be the reasoning behind it all.... I wish you luck Boo13.greenpea

Hi @Boo13,

It’s great to hear that your son is managing well with his diagnosis – it sounds like you have good reason to be proud Smiley Happy

Weight gain is a very common side effect of medications and lots of members here on the Forums have dealt with this. It sounds like it is early days of treatment for your son. Sometimes it can take some time to adjust to the changes of living with a diagnosis, as well as accepting and managing any side effects from medication. Making an appointment with his GP sounds like a great idea, if he’s open to it, as they can discuss strategies for managing side effects. It’s also a good to talk to his prescribing practitioner. I don’t know what support he already has in place, but some people find it helpful to see a psychologist to discuss additional strategies (on top of medication) for managing symptoms, particularly the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

With some time and as your son becomes more used to managing his mental health symptoms, he may find he has more time and motivation to focus on his physical health needs.

You might like to have a read of the following Topic Tuesday discussion on managing the side effects of medication. There are some great insights in this discussion from @Dave1977, @Former-Member, @Liss23 and other members. I have linked to page 10 where the conversation turns to strategies people have tried or found helpful:

Managing side effects of medication

It is a bit of a tough one @Boo13.   Responding as I had been tagged.

The side effects of APs are well documented. Picking which one to use is normally based on side effect profile, depot availability (for involuntary patients) and hospital formulary. 

I can certainly understand your concerns regarding your son's general health. I am proactive in ensuring regular recommended monitoring occurs.

Mr Darcy has a BPii working diagnosis and motivation, so our situation a little different. Walking the dog daily,  having salads (initially given to reduce constipation) and not eating dessert has all helped but this has been in association with reducing crisis meds, one of which has a +++ reputation for weight gain. Whilst on crisis meds he had no motivation to co anything  but would eat what I gave him but did see the benefits of having adequate fibre so has willingly continued the healthy eating.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance