Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

BasicBird
Contributor

Sharing work experience

I would like to share experience as a "support" worker who go to clients' home and help with domestic tasks to help clients maintain their physical wellbeing. Clients I come across with are elders who either have medical condition and/or disability. I'm new to the sector and still learning. I view vulnerable clients as people who need extra divisions to help them live the normal life. The values I exercise while I'm on duty are the values of compassion, understanding, collaboration and respect. 

While I enjoy the job, I sometimes cannot help to feel that there are people who are taking the piss. This means that I'm treated like I'm their cleaner, rather than support worker. Well, I'm still very new to the sector and I'm learning about referral. I'm not required to refer any services. I'm trying to become a mental worker, so I start in home care service as the first step in the door. And the reason I feel that some of clients are taking the piss is because, sometimes I can see that my service is government funded due to the illness and there're clients who, sort of like, would brag that they'll have their house clean weekly as they don't have to. Like the upper-class people who would have a cleaner coming around.... You know when you pay money for a cleaner, you would command them to keep the place spotless to make your money worth well yeah I was treated like that by some clients. Clients who I met more than twice would demand how spotless they want the place to be. It wasn't because I didnot do a good job, but it was because they had no respect for people and delusional to think there is some kind of power imbalance between themselves and me. Me as a lower position of course....because I'm the one who clean. Yes I clean as part of the job but I'm not a cleaner cleaner. I'm there to help with domestic tasks because clients who some kind of challenge where they might neglect the cleanliness around themselves causing demolishing physical wellbeing. I have qualification for mental health sector. But I don't get to use motivational approach around this type of clients because they don't care. They indulge themselves, wait for weekly clean, and the cycle go on and on. I'm not Caucasian by the way. And the sarcastic of this is I'm taught to not view people who have disadvantage like they're less than us. But the truth is these people actually view me less than them. Walk over me and that.

I do, however, come across some clients who are truly vulnerable, and they are actually really nice and respectful clients and would appreciate the help. They motivate me to keep going. 

Thank you for the space for me to post. I'm going to go cry as a way of self care 😂🙂 and then go out and have something to eat so I could go on next week. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sharing work experience

I am really sorry people are behaving in a way that is so disrespectful.  Maybe find a way to address it, as if they continue to do it, you are probably not the only person mistreated. @BasicBird 

I am in the opposite position in that I have a support worker who is comfortable doing domestic chores but I only occasionally want her to help me that way.  Mostly we go out and walk or garden or shop.  I do not want her to do things I can do or my adult child should do, so I am always telling her "no, leave it".  She has a way of asserting herself, but with care and respect.  

If the problem clients are on the NDIS they mostly likely have funds for cleaning anyway.  To give good mental health support it can be helpful to do tasks together.  My Spt wkr has helped me change my sheets and do the dishes or vac, but I only ask for 1 or 2 tiny jobs in any 2 hour shift.  Maybe you could encourage the "working together approach".  Or start saying "I am your support worker, its best not to use all my time cleaning" or something like that.  Support workers for mental health is a fairly new field and so many people are trying different things out.

Look on some mental health websites to get an idea of the types of services offered.

Interesting to me is that you used the phrase "taking the piss" which I associate with Aussie culture.  Maybe it is taking advantage of ... not sure ... Some people are just bossy boots plain and simple.

@Appleblossom  

Yeah I was asked to do lists of cleaning and sometimes there're too many to clean and I ran out of time, but I stayed back to finish it anyways. I like the tip you suggested around working together approach and setting boundary around exercising my time for other things and not just cleaning. Though it wouldn't work on some clients but I'll give it a go!!!! Thank you for sharing x

I can imagine some clients are a handful @BasicBird 

The "less than" issue or people doing a superiority number, is never good no matter what the context.

On the other hand I did have one lady bring her sister into my house to clean and muck me around for months changing times at the last minute to squeeze me in as she built her business, then say loudly to her sister that nobody in Australia had the right to be on disability.  I was so used to be silenced I was shocked and could not stand up for myself at the time, but eventually got rid of her.  I also had one very Aussie support worker not believe I could educated but on a disability and let a lot of judgmental attitudes and rudeness flow out of her mouth.  I am learning not to tolerate stuff like that anymore.  Its a tricky field as everybody is unique. 

Stand your ground with self respect. If people are too bossy give them a questioning look to see if they tone it down a bit.  

Good luck with it all.

Hi @BasicBird 

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I used to work in community mental health and would go to clients' homes. Occasionally their support worker would also be there and the way they were spoken to by the client made me shudder. One in particular comes to mind. He was an older white male and his support worker was of African descent. While I was there, the way he ordered her about seemed both racially denigrating and sexist. I was so disturbed I ended up talking about it to my manager and she suggested I report it to the company from which the support worker came. The organisation was so grateful I'd spoken up about it. I'm wondering if you feel confident enough to discuss with someone higher up in your organisation about what's happening. I understand with you being new that you may not feel comfortable doing so. Perhaps speaking with a colleague could also be an idea? 

Sending hugs

Hanami❤️

I have years of lived experience with mental health issues, mental health support and support of parent with mental health and dementia issues (carer experience). 

@hanami Thank you for sharing the story. Good on you for speaking up for people!!  I don't feel very comfortable to speak up yet but I'm guessing that's probably because it hasn't reached my breaking point hahaha. I noted everything down however so when I have enough courage to speak up for myself I can refer to it. The clients signed up for the funding scheme to get the help and supports they need to work towards the goals that planned specifically for them. I guess it's a thin line for some people between being companion vs personal servant. Thanks again for sharing. xx

@Appleblossom 

That sounds like the worker lack of respect to bring someone else into your home without your consent. I'm sorry to hear that you was in that situation and I'm glad that you got rid of her! Being judgmental is such a bad value especially in mental health sector. It's everyone's right to be treated with dignity and respect! 

Thank you for sharing. xx

Hi @BasicBird 

Yep it seems to be a very thin line. It's such a good idea to write it all down. Good on you!

Sending hugs

Hanami

@BasicBird wrote:

I would like to share experience as a "support" worker who go to clients' home and help with domestic tasks to help clients maintain their physical wellbeing. Clients I come across with are elders who either have medical condition and/or disability. I'm new to the sector and still learning. I view vulnerable clients as people who need extra divisions to help them live the normal life. The values I exercise while I'm on duty are the values of compassion, understanding, collaboration and respect. 

While I enjoy the job, I sometimes cannot help to feel that there are people who are taking the piss. This means that I'm treated like I'm their cleaner, rather than support worker. Well, I'm still very new to the sector and I'm learning about referral. I'm not required to refer any services. I'm trying to become a mental worker, so I start in home care service as the first step in the door. And the reason I feel that some of clients are taking the piss is because, sometimes I can see that my service is government funded due to the illness and there're clients who, sort of like, would brag that they'll have their house clean weekly as they don't have to. Like the upper-class people who would have a cleaner coming around.... You know when you pay money for a cleaner, you would command them to keep the place spotless to make your money worth well yeah I was treated like that by some clients. Clients who I met more than twice would demand how spotless they want the place to be. It wasn't because I didnot do a good job, but it was because they had no respect for people and delusional to think there is some kind of power imbalance between themselves and me. Me as a lower position of course....because I'm the one who clean. Yes I clean as part of the job but I'm not a cleaner cleaner. I'm there to help with domestic tasks because clients who some kind of challenge where they might neglect the cleanliness around themselves causing demolishing physical wellbeing. I have qualification for mental health sector. But I don't get to use motivational approach around this type of clients because they don't care. They indulge themselves, wait for weekly clean, and the cycle go on and on. I'm not Caucasian by the way. And the sarcastic of this is I'm taught to not view people who have disadvantage like they're less than us. But the truth is these people actually view me less than them. Walk over me and that.

I do, however, come across some clients who are truly vulnerable, and they are actually really nice and respectful clients and would appreciate the help. They motivate me to keep going. 

Thank you for the space for me to post. I'm going to go cry as a way of self care 😂🙂 and then go out and have something to eat so I could go on next week. 

Wow, that must suck.  As someone who employs a support worker, I've been told that a support worker is like an opportunity or a 'stepping stone' to get me to where I want to be.  Even in the early days of my recovery, I had high hopes for myself, and I've been able to see how doing the morning routine thing, going out and getting coffee and chatting with the waiters was helpful to me in regaining my facial expressions and voice tone, and having my support worker has been invaluable for errand running and just getting some autonomy back into my life.  Sometimes we'll just sit and make lists of ideas for stuff to do, look up upcoming library or local council events I might want her to take me to.  I mean, yeah, sometimes we do do a bunch of life admin errands, but even those still build my skills and confidence. 

It must suck to feel like racism is a factor in your relationships with your clients.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance