Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Libra
Senior Contributor

schizophrenia

Hi everyone,

I haven't been coping too well the last few weeks and needed to share...(my 31 yr old son is a diagnosed schizophrenic),I took him shopping last Thursday and he was clearly affected by ice. The day before, he called me in a panic and said that he has a drama and couldn't get his depot injection and that he had arranged to have it in another 2 weeks, which would breach his CTO. I went along with his story, but called his case manager to let him now. 

Anyway on the Thursday, he was very aggressive towards me and my car, yelling and saying weird stuff, it was a bit scary. I tried to remain calm and talk to him, I asked him if he ever got tired of being a drug addict....that didn't go down too well. He doesn't believe he has a problem. Then I found out that he was $500 in arrears with his rent and was possibly going to be evicted! So far that hasn't happened and his case manager visited him and gave him his depot injection.

My thing is...should I keep supporting him or give us both some space?? I told him that I wouldn't be buying anymore groceries as he didn't pay back the full amout he owed me from the previous week. He even demanded I pay his rent!

I took some washing down yesterday and asked if he knew about Caronavirus...and he had no idea! I'm just having trouble coping with the whole drama of it all. He is on a disability pension, so he will be getting financial aid from the government soon, and I'm sure that will be given straight to the local drug dealer - such a waste! I wonder if the goverment even think of how a lot of the money will be spent?

Are there any suggestions on places I could call to speak with someone? I know of lifeline.

OK, better calm down and breath... thanks for your support here, and taking the time to listen.

Cheers Libra xoxo

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: schizophrenia

@Libra 

I don't know the ins and outs  in relation to the process but if a person is not thought to have capacity, you can apply for public guardianship order where the public trustee manage patient funds. Case worker might know how to go about this.

Thanks for the information @Former-Member , but he won't even get his rent paid through Centrepay. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Libra 

This is involuntary - varies from state to state - but similar.

As an example SA info here

http://www.sacat.sa.gov.au/types-of-cases/administration-of-a-persons-affairs/what-is-an-administrat...

@Libra 

Hi there. I have not used a service like this, but I have read of hotlines available in each state where you can receive free, non-judgemental advice for drug and alcohol issues and dual diagnoses. Just put in 'drug and alcohol hotline' into a seach engine, followed by your home state. Wishing you the very best. Meg1

Thanks so much @Meg1 , I'll have a go at that in the morning. Any help and advice will help. At the moment, I'm not calling him re: washing or anything and waiting for him to call me. I need space. 

Thanks again, Libra xo

My son is under financial management with Trustee & Guardian. Ensures his bills get paid & takes that stress off me. Recommended looking into this. 

Take care of yourself.

Hi @Libra 

My son has schizoeffective disorder. I hear you hun. This might help, I do hope you're ok x

Screenshot_2021-01-09-14-12-03-11.jpg

Hugs @Libra 🥰🍰

Sitting  with you my friend xxx 

@Anastasia , @OnMyOwn , @Meg1 , @Former-Member , @greenpea , @Schitzo 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance