Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

angela4
Casual Contributor

daughter who won't let me in

Hi everyone,

My smart and lovely girl is 21. She has had diagnosed depression for 3 years, tho she has battled intermittantly throughout her teens. SHe was a driven student and athlete. After yr 12 she went to uni, and had a major depressive episode half way thru first yr. She dropped out and has been on a meds/psych roller coaster ever since. Now, off all meds (at Doctor's instruction), I have managed to convince her to go back to her psychologist - COVID has been awful for her. Lost her P/T job and totally isolated, she regressed. She is constantly angry and won't talk to me. She will stay in her room all day. I know she feels alone, lonely and 'unfixable'. I don't kknow how to help.   

4 REPLIES 4

Re: daughter who won't let me in

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through! You are absolutely not alone here, I believe this happens more than is talked about.

Good tips on this website https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/crazy-life/201509/how-help-your-adult-child-if-they-have-men...

Edit: Duplicate post deleted

It's a really tough one, and while I'm not a mental health professional, I am a Dad and have watched my son go through a similar hard time during his teens - he got so bad that he had an entire year off school. The depression squashed the life out of him, making him angry and miserable. We found what helped was him going to hospital - he went for 4 weeks and we could tell it helped tremendously. I wonder if your daughter has considered that option? I do note she is 21 which complicates things, as the decision has to come from her, and depressed people don't always make decisions in their best interest. It's good she is planning to see the psychologist again, maybe clue him/her in and mention regression, and suggest going to hospital. In the absence of talking with you constructively, encourage her to talk with friends.

hello @angela4 

thinking of you and your daughter , how are you today my friend xx

Hello @Gerald@Amanda1 , how are you today xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance