Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Elsie-may
New Contributor

Mum to 20 year old son with bipolar 1

Just introducing myself. Married with 3 kids,  the eldest son has bipolar 1 diagnosis and is currently in hospital fpr his fourth psychotic mania. He is living at home and trying to get his life in order but struggling with accepting his diagnosis and taking medication . Hence he ends up manic and delusional to the point he requires hospital to keep him safe. It is such a rollercoaster. I struggle with not being able to do any more than support him, and hate watching him suffer ,especially when in hospital and so frightened and angry and desperate and unable to sleep despite all the meds. He is slowly coming down from the mania after 3 weeks and the issue will be how to help him avoid it happening all over again next time. When i can i horse ride or bike ride in the bush for exercise and time out. Most of the time i feel im coping, but talking is good and sharing experiences with others helps ,so here i am🤔

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mum to 20 year old son with bipolar 1

Hi there @Elsie-may 

Welcome to the SANE forums! It's great to have you here and thanks for telling the community a bit about yourself and your son.   I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection. I'm the moderator on duty right now.   

Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be pretty useful in understanding how it all works  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines

Take care.

Whitehawk

@Elsie-may  Hey Elsie-may being diagnosed with a mental disorder is a tough ride. I was firstly diagnosed with bipolar I now schizoaffective disorder. I also have a son2 with mental health issues including schizophrenia. It is hard to come to terms with particularly for young people. The most important thing for your son is that you are well and the rest of your family are too. You must take good care of your own well being during his recovery which could take months .... it took years for me to be honest.....  same with my son2.  If you could encourage your son into taking his meds to avoid hospital that would be a good start (that works for my son2) and eating well, no or limited alcohol, no drug taking and exercise .... everything a young person doesnt want to hear lol but true unfortunately. Take care. greenpeax

ps: if you want to talk with me or anyone else on the forums put a @ infront of their name like I did for you then a notification will be sent to them of your post.

Thanks @greenpea. I would be greatful for any tips on how to convince him to stay on his medication. You would think 3 hospital admissions for psychosis would be

enough! We do all we can to support him, but also understand he has to make the choice himself, and its so hard watching him make the wrong choices and suffer the consequences. 

@Elsie-may  yes if I was young I would find the meds hard to take. They make one drowsy and put on weight etc. not fun but are necessary to be stable, without voices and to lead a normal life.  I was talking with my psychiatrist and she said that the more a patient has episodes the worse the prognosis is ..... it figures really but maybe that will put the fear of god into him. With my son with schizophrenia just the thought of going back into hospital is enough for him to take his medications. We take ours together morning and night. Being cray-cray is not a good look so maybe that is another way to help with your son to adhere to his medication regime. It is tough as he being 20 he can do as he likes but with that comes the consequences. pea

Hi @Elsie-may , 

Welcome to the forums! 

It is so challenging to watch your child go through such difficulties. I can only imagine how tough things are for you, and with three kids to take care of as well. 

Not sure if you have come across this yet, but I found this resource here  from Headspace, which could be helpful for you to take a look at ðŸ˜€

Take care, Peonies 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance