Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: I feel like i’ve lost my partner to 1st episode psychosis. Will he ever be the same again?

@Jzkm - he's still there, it's just that going through a psychosis puts a real dent in one's confidence. The illness often tells you that you're special, and reading up on it and ticking many of the boxes busts that. I did the same thing. He's coming to terms with the fact that he really was sick and his brain went through a big shock. It's encouraging that they're lowering the dose of his meds.

Re: I feel like i’ve lost my partner to 1st episode psychosis. Will he ever be the same again?

@UprightRabbit Thanks so much for that! I actually just got a mental health care plan yesterday after 2 months of grasping on strings trying to find the right support. Im getting counselling mandated by child protection but i filter too many feelings coz i dont want the very sly department to misuse the info against us. I already feel theyre doing more harm than good and their methods tipped me over the edge too many times. I tried the beyond blue chat but the lady didnt even listen to me she just sort of cut me off mid chat saying feel free to contact them again if i need help Smiley LOL

Its so hard going through all this just intime with covid, cant even unwind outside for a coffee and people watch.

Im living off this forum, just being able to relate to people who have gone through the same is a good form of therapy. You should start charging me Smiley LOL

How are you going with therapy?
the one i booked with isnt until the 14th of september Smiley Happy

@Gwynn yes its one of the very few good things that has happened in a while. I guess this is just very alien territory for both of us and we're trying our best, i just need to keep reminding myself to separate him from the effects of his meds. Now im losing myself in navigating the carer support sites. 

Thank you for your advice! Helps so much when someone else speaks from experience and not just theory. 

What about you?how are you going? Are you also locked down with covid? 🙂

Hi @Jzkm 

Sooo glad you've got your own mental health plan. You need it, you deserve it, I hope your psych is the best.

Mine actually told me to leave. They're not supposed to do that but he clearly felt quite strongly about it. 

You gotta build up some personal reserves of psychological strength and remember who you were before you got caught up in some one else's orbit. 

Stay strong,  

Rabbit. 

I'm getting there, thanks. Still locked down with covid.

Hi @UprightRabbit 

yeah i had my first session with her and looking forward to the next. Shes quite fully booked i wish i went with a more available one.

About your psych... wow! I read your post about leaving & good on you! I can imagine it would have taken all the strength and you would have been through so much to make that decision.

as for me, im scared im just throwing my life away here but also really want to try to make it work for our baby. 

its hard to deal with sometimes especially when you think theyre doing better theyre on meds and then they sort of tilt sideways behaviour-wise again. The romance and little efforts he used to make, are gone, so i really find no joy in the relationship anymore. I feel guilty even just typing this. 

How are you feeling these days? Do you still look back or are you relieved? 

p.s. this forum has been my sort of form of therapy now so thanks for always replying Smiley Tongue

@Gwynn youre in Melbourne too? same.

lockdown sucks. Its driving everyone mad 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance