Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

daughter31
New Contributor

Hoarding

My mum is a hoarder and living in uninhabitable conditions. I don't know where to turn to for support and resources and I don't think she does either. It seems there isn't much support in Brisbane?

My siblings and I have done many clean ups and throw outs with her in the past. But how many more times must we do this? Nothing changes, it just gets worse.

My siblings have also moved on and out of town. She deserves another life. I don't know if she knows that but I do tell her anyways. 

I say it every year - this is the year we will get it under control and find the support she needs. But perhaps I am as bad she is, because I never succeed, and I feel I never try hard enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips? 

I feel quite alone in this. I have been able to speak with friends and family. But it's been over a decade and my heart is breaking and I feel like I am failing her.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hoarding

Hey @daughter31 and welcome to the Forums! We are glad that you are here and able to share your story.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear how hard this must be for you to be witnessing. Your wish for your mum to have a different life is clear and it can be devastating when, despite our best efforts, it feels nothing changes. It is evident how hard you and your siblings have tried, even though those thoughts can remain of "I didn't try hard enough". 

Hoarding can be a really tricky condition to get support for. As I am sure you have experienced, we can go and do epic clean-ups only for the same pattern to repeat if the underlying concerns are not addressed. 

Centacare is a service in Brisbane that appears to offer some good psych supports and hoarding-specific supports. 

I encourage you to call through to our SANE Support Centre (1800 187 263, Monday - Friday 10am-10pm) for some advice and information tailored more to your local area. Our counsellors can be amazing at finding services! 

I believe we also have a hoarding-specific thread or two here, Any diagnosed germophobes or hoarders on this forum?Hoarders Spouses which might have some information of interest. 

It is often a thankless job caring for someone with mental health concerns and important to know that you truly are doing the very best that you can ðŸ’“

Take very good care of yourself 

Kind regards

Peregrinefalcon

maddison
Senior Contributor

Hi @daughter31 

Welcome to the forums.

I had a quick look on Google for you & found these companies that offer services in Brisbane.

Your Home Organised

https://hoardinghomesolutions.com.au/directory/your-space-organised/ 

MARTIJN VAN LITH

https://martijnvanlith.com.au/hoarding-and-squalor/ 

There might be other services available. I typed in "hoarding task forces Brisbane" to Google.

Good luck. May u find the right service for you & your mum.

maddison xx 

Dimity
Senior Contributor

Hello @daughter31 

It's a difficult situation and I have no answers but a great deal of sympathy.  My sister is a hoarder but fiercely independent and rejects all offers of help. I worry for her health and safety. It's heartbreaking. She has MH diagnoses but I doubt her team is aware of her living conditions as she seems to lack insight in this area. It causes me anxiety and sometimes keeps me awake at night. I don't know what I can do. It seems to be a choice between respecting her boundaries or losing the relationship.

Best wishes

Dimity

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance