Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sev
New Contributor

Feeling Isolated

Hi there all I’m forty year old male from the NSW central coast currently living and caring for my 76 year old mother who is on a walker and has bipolar disorder.

I’m finding it pretty tough because I suffer from anxiety and depression myself and I don’t really get out into society because of my role and my own self isolation.

I’m trying to go to some local support groups and get some counselling to face these issues but it hasn’t been easy for me.

I feel liked my role is locked it for the future and I don’t know if I can have a happy life for myself apart from caring for my mum.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Feeling Isolated

Gday @Sev ,

Welcome to the forums. Thank you to connecting with us.

I hope others will be able to share their experiences and insights into similar situations.

I'm wondering if you are eligible for our Guided Service. You can find out on https://www.sane.org/referral.

We also have Drop-in counselling services available on 1800 187 263 (M-F, 10am-10pm AEDT)

https://www.sane.org/get-support/drop-in-service

I look forward to hearing from you,

tyme

Hi @Sev ,

I hear you on how you may be feeling!

I myself had been thrown suddenly into a carer role for the past 2yrs, and found myself in moments where I could use words to describe what is very visceral: suffocation, panic, dread ... whenever I started to realise that I could be doing this for the foreseeable future. And I'd get stuck on thinking it wasn't my choice (neither was it the choice of my injured family member too). It's totally understandable though to feel this way. What you and I are doing are really important, and yet we can get so lost in it that we don't have anything for ourselves at the end of the day. It's a terrible feeling.

I also have anxiety and PTSD, and I had been going to counselling for the good part of a decade (it takes a long time), so I do have some tools I have found helpful for me over the years, and I'd like to share them with you if that's ok. If so scroll ahead.

Just know that I can see your struggles and can relate, and you're not alone. There is a lot of help out there. Counselling does take a long time to come through in my experience, and it really depends on who you're working with.

Having patience and compassion for yourself, and holding yourself lightly on days when you are struggling, can help a bit. Taking deep breaths, doing grounding exercises like naming 5 things you can hear, 4 you can see, 3 you can touch, 2 you can smell, 1 you can taste, has been really good for me. Journalling regularly helps me put my frustrations somewhere else (other than inside my brain). Drinking water, or just breaking that vicious mental spiral by doing something quickly to distract you, for me it's washing dishes for some reason. And using the helplines too on especially bad nights. I hope some of these may be of use to you.

All the best to you,

SSGG.

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Yes I agree that it’s my mind not really coming to terms with the role and situation we’ve been put in and struggling to come to terms with it.

I have been offered counselling but I’m yet to make my first appointment with it.

I’m going to keep at it and seek different services to try and manage the situation better.

Thanks for all your reply’s they’ve been a great help.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance