Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Winter3
New Contributor

𝚃𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚍 a 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚋𝚒𝚙𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚑𝚞𝚜𝚋𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚕𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚙𝚜𝚎𝚍.

I feel like I'm running out of help to give. 
My husband was diagnosed with bipolar 10 years ago after a mental health hospital admission. He's since been mostly stable on meds until about 2 months ago he declined badly. Became suicidal, had a very well thought out and researched plan. His meds weren't working, he was starting to lose control over all his actions & I knew I was about to lose him. I took him to a hospital where he was admitted and started on new meds. They continue to increase one of the meds frequently (lithium) and each time they do, he has terrible side effects (irritability, anxiety, nausea, anger). His psychiatrist has been great, as too has his GP, but he hasn't yet seen a psychologist since the start of all of this. They keep canceling due to covid, their own illness & one was just busy! It's been almost 2 months and the improvements I started to see, have mostly gone. He seems to be going backwards. It's heart breaking to watch him go through this.

He's now had panics attacks and hallucinations that he never ever had before.  
We are all suffering including our young child. Has anyone else been through anything similar?

We have a good network of friends and family who of course tell me I need to see a psychologist but I can't even get him into one yet. It's frustrating, scary and I'm not sure how long I can stay strong for. 
I called the mental health crisis hotline today but got an answering machine. Will try again tomorrow 
Thank you for hearing my story ♡︎

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 𝚃𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚍 a 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚋𝚒𝚙𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚑𝚞𝚜𝚋𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚕𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚙𝚜𝚎𝚍.

@Winter3  Hey Winter3 and welcome to the forums. I was originally dianosed with bipolar I now schizoaffective disorder and it has taken a few years to get the medications right. You husband needs to see a good psychiatrist which I know is difficult with covid-19 precautions. If you feel that your husband is a danger to himself or others call for an ambulance to have him admitted to a mental health unit. Remember to take care of yourself during this time and also remember that while your husband is suffering  effects from his bipolar he will probably not be aware of his actions either verbal or otherwise. It is the mental illness doing the talking. Take care. greenpeax

Re: 𝚃𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚍 a 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚋𝚒𝚙𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚑𝚞𝚜𝚋𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚕𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚙𝚜𝚎𝚍.

I am so sorry that you are going through such a hard time with your family. I hope that you and your husband recieve the health care that you both deserve going forward. Stay strong because you deserve happiness.

hello and hugs @Winter3 , how are you going today my friend 

Hello @greenpea@Any1 Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance