Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

104203957_2958277624240385_5269845026869983835_o.jpg

images - 2020-06-16T161422.357.jpeg

Filled the green bin with some prunings and weeds in readiness for collection tomorrow. 

image.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

104763506_10158734551523570_2740042475243756203_n.jpg

Hello all!

Got myself out into the garden for some bits and pieces jobs this weekend. Is a good place to escape everything for a bit.

Potted up a couple of bare rooted roses that I bought with the last bit of my Christmas/Birthday cash stash. "Mr Lincoln", which is a lovely red that Mum had in her garden years ago, and "Hot Chocolate", which is red with a hint of brown. Quite an unusual colour and quite striking. Evicted one of the dead tomato plants from the greenhouse (it got too cold despite being under cover.. oh well) and used the soil from that for the roses. Mixed with some fresh stuff and bunny/guinea pig manure to liven it up.

Weeded one of my beds a bit and topped up a few spots that needed more soil with a mix of soil and manure. Pulled out a couple of self seeded lemon balm plants that were in unhelpful positions and potted them up to pass on to other people. Still quite a few of those to come out. Took cuttings off an interesting Scabiosa. Will need to relocate some Aquilegias. I planted that bed a bit closely so that it would fill out well, but things have grown better than expected (yay!) so they're risking overcrowding other more valuable plants. I'll hopefully be "redeveloping" the next bed along shortly, so they can go there instead.

@angela4  you might enjoy this gardening discussion thread

Former-Member
Not applicable

Walking past the hardware store today we spotted the bare rooted fruit trees had arrived in their garden section and on closer inspection noticed they had one of the dwarf cherry trees we were after.  Popped in and was able to get a Dwarf Stella as well as a Dwarf Don Bradman, these complete the list of the desired fruit trees that we plan on planting this year.  As an impulse buy I also picked up some pink flowering lilium bulbs 'Corsica'.

We have made progress on the garden beds with the posts for the berry trellis now in situ. A friend popped by today and helped by sawing the ends off some posts that were too tall for our espalier beds and they are now ready to go in the holes Mr D has prepared.  

@Former-Member, the fruit trees that were on order for me fell through- the wholesale nursery supplying the tree drive had unexpectedly high demand from the commercial nurseries they supply... Y'know, Corona-gardening... Ah well.

Am tossing up about whether to see if I can get some from elsewhere, or if I would be better patiently waiting until next year, and concentrating on making sure the planting sites are really really extra good by then.

As much as it's inconvenient having supply messed around, I hope all these new gardeners really catch the bug, and keep it up long term, and get a lot of enjoyment from their fresh fruit. 🙂

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 6.37.34 pm.png

We finished installing the posts today for our espalier fruit trees. 

@Smc  I was very tempted when I saw what appear to be a fine variety of dwarf fruit trees (grow to 2-2.5m high) at one of our local garden centres and even have a spot where we could espalier a few but thought I need to hold off at least until the plants we already have are in situ and and some other more pressing jobs done.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance