Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Former-Member, the biggest challenge at this time of year will be that you're racing against the weather. Sunflowers are not very cold tolerant. Can you put the plants in a greenhouse or somewhere a bit protected from the cold? And maybe leave some in the care of family in the "big smoke", as our costal capital cities rarely get frost. (Assuming said family have green-ish thumbs.)

Hand pollinating may help too, with a fine paintbrush.

If it turns out that they're hybrids, you'll get mixed results, but you could save seeds from your favourites each year until you've got your very own "Mr. Darcy" strain. xx

Have finally called the tomatoes in the garden "finished". The ones in the greenhouse and under polycarb mini-tunnels are still looking OK, so I'll let them hang on a bit longer, but the out-in-the-open ones are definitely frost struck and done for.

I've fed any that were red-ish to the chook. She doesn't mind that they've gone bitter. Am cutting the plants down to the ground and replanting the beds. The bed next to the fence is partially done. The soil had sunk, so I've topped it up with a half soil, half compost, little bit of manure mixture, and planted sweet pea plants. A variety called "Metaphor". If it turns out as pretty as the pic on the packet, they'll be a lovely treat come springtime. I also planted mixed colour "Galaxy" sweet peas last week, down along the back of the veggie garden.

I started my sweet pea seeds in small pots back sometime around March/April. We have trouble with mice pinching seeds, so I wanted to get them going somewhere that I could protect them. A couple of varieties didn't come up- the seed may have been too old. I've still got some crimson ones (seed collected from a friend's place), a mix that a lady brought along to our garden club from her garden, and a variety called "The Major".

GalaxyGalaxyMetaphorMetaphor

Hello @Smc sweet peas are beautiful, aren't they? 

I finally dragged myself out to weed and mulch yesterday. Gosh it's such good therapy, isn't it?

It has transformed two beds and had it not rained overnight my plan was to finish on the second one. 

@Former-Member @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Faith-and-Hope @Adge @Sophia1 @Mumslove 

@Anastasia, I've got a decent number of the sweet peas planted in the garden and starting to take off. I've still got some waiting in pots, so they need to go out ASAP!

I've got my chook doing a lot of my garden prep work this year. She's in a portable cage. I give her a big bucketful or two of weeds and leaf litter every day or so, she scratches through it for insects and other edibles, and once it's built up deep enough, I move her pen along a bit. Hoping it will make excellent soil for the hungry things this summer- the tomatoes, corn, squash and suchlike.

I found out this morning that the snow peas I planted in Autumn are forming their first flower buds. Yay! Some of the plants died off over winter, so I want to get more in before it gets any warmer.

@Smc@Anastasia , @Former-Member , @Appleblossom@Faith-and-Hope 

did some trimming and weeding in the gardens yesterday and then it rained 

@Shaz51 @Anastasia @Faith-and-Hope @Smc 

I had a short time out in garden yesterday.  Being inside today.  I think you all know how much being close to nature is for me.

Heart

Feeling a little rattled, not sure why.

Love to you all.

WWithers Yarra RiverWWithers Yarra River

@Appleblossom  Hugs.... Heart

hugs @Appleblossom Heart

You're an inspiration @Smc 

Hugs @Appleblossom 🙏💖

@Anastasia, my garden is a bit of a life analogy... precious and beautiful things pushing back against the weeds... 🙂 The overall view might be messy, but the lovely things are still hanging in there.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance