Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home Ā» Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Looking after ourselves

Jane72
New Contributor

Respite Services - why aren't there any available in Qld?

I'm a single mum to 3 kids. One of them has Autism and Schitzoaffective disorder and she is 12. She's very difficult to deal with and I need a break. I've had to give up  my job to care for her full time but my two other children and I are burning out. I have NDIS funding for her and I have one carer that comes for 2 hours once a week and I'm trying to find other carers but most haven't been successful with her or can't take a child on/don't have a blue card etc.. it's very difficult to find somebody. If I could ask for anything it would be a regular overnight break the boys and I could get but this doesn't seem possible anywhere. I've asked many organisations, her mental health team, the hospital.. nobody knows of anything. The last I heard from Autism Qld is there used to be an overnight respite service they offered but since the NDIS that has been closed down! How are we supposed to just keep going and going...why aren't we allowed respite?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Respite Services - why aren't there any available in Qld?

Hey @Jane72 thanks so much for posting. I can't imagine how difficult it is when you've already explored almost every option and still feel there are no avenues for reprieve. I want you to know that here in this community, we will always hear you and be here alongside you in the recovery journey with your girl.

We had a carers event just recently and one of our peer ambassadors, Sarah, had some really great insight about navigating NDIS which you can read over here. There appears to be a lot of loopholes and varying avenues for support which can take a while to get our heads around. In addition, would you be up for giving our help centre a call? Our counsellors work from 10am-10pm on 1800 18 7263. I can imagine you're just really keen for some extra support, I do hope our community jumps in and provides some ideas soon, you're not alone Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance