Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Yipoet
Casual Contributor

How do you still enjoy your life?

I've recently supported a friend through an acute mental health crisis ... everyday I was worried about her mentally, physically, financially, socially. For many reasons, she was at high risk of serious harm. The police and ambulance were involved multiple times. She is finally getting some treatment and care now and I know that I should feel relieved. But I still find myself crying each day, unable to sleep, feeling generally very flat and unable to go back to 'my own life'.

I know that recovery is a long road and a hospital admission is not the answer, I know she may go through another acute period again.

For the long term carers - what are your coping strategies?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do you still enjoy your life?

HI @Yipoet ,

Thank you for sharing. It takes a lot to care for someone, and yes it can be so tiring at times. Not just physically, but mentally exhausting.

Perhaps @Shaz51 can share some of her insights as a carer?

Oh Goll-ee @Yipoet 

I went through that for years with my son and the outcome was not good. It is hard to live with and I am searching my mind for a reply that might help - right now.

This has been traumatic for you - it will take time for you to settle I should imagine. It must have been so scary - I know it was. Being relieved might take time and I am thinking of you - you have a baby and that's your priority - but such an event does leave you feeling vulnerable - this I know well.

What your friend does is her choice - and that is so hard to accept. It's easy to say - I know - it's reality though - we have no control over what other people do and when people are chaotically mentally ill it's drama after drama - more than you can manage right now I think - 

Take care of yourself and your baby - eat well and get as much rest as you can - whatever you like to do that will distract you - then try that - watch TV - read - play games - take walks - and give yourself time.

I really care - I'm sending my best thoughts.

Owlunar

Burn out is real. I think carers need to clock on and clock off. Even though I am a consumer I am also a carer for my son who developed mental illness too. It doesn't end. I just take the small wins. And try not to burn out on the big losses. A life lived in fear is a life half lived - that is the motto Baz Luhrmann puts at the start of each of his movies.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance