Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Ana1
Casual Contributor

Carer of my daughter diagnosed with schizophrenia

It's been a while since I posted but wanted to know if anyone knows if any face to face carer support groups in the brisbane region? I managed to make contact after a lot of searching with a group that I think met monthly but that was a while back and I don't have those details anymore. Thanks in advance:)

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Carer of my daughter diagnosed with schizophrenia

Hey @Ana1! Welcome back!

While I am not an expert in the services in the Brisbane area, hopefully these can point you in the right direction:

- Carer Gateway - Peer Support Groups 

- Queensland Government - Supports for carers (long list of support services)

- Bluecare - Carer Support Groups

You can also reach out to our lovely SANE drop-in line for more information - 1800 187 263 (M-F, 10am-10pm)

I hope this can be helpful! 💛

Hi @Ana1 

I just wanted to reach out to offer you some support 💜

I’m so sorry to hear that you no longer have the details for the support group that you worked so hard to find and in my experience, trying to find the resources that we so desperately need can feel as though we’re searching for a needle in a very large haystack!

As such, I think that it’s wonderful that you’re trying to find another support group and I really admire your determination to find the resources that you need to support you at this time 💜

There’s an organisation in Brisbane called Arafmi and (in addition to a few other services) they also provide face to face support groups for parents, partners, relatives and friends who are caring for a loved one who is living with a mental health condition 💜

As such, they create ‘a supportive environment where people have the opportunity to talk about their experiences and help explore alternative ways of coping, offer support to other group members, or simply listen and observe.’

I wasn’t too sure how old your daughter is, but as I was browsing through their website, I noticed that Arafmi also provide a face to face support group especially for families who are caring for a young person who is living with a mental health condition 💜

As such, I’ve just shared the link to this particular section of their website in case you would like to explore these support groups further 😊

https://arafmi.com.au/carer-family-support/carer-support-groups/

I hope that this helps you a little bit 😊

Please know that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Thanks @ShiningStar for sending me the link.

I have registered for both their online and face to face carer via the link you provided.

Much appreciated:)

Thank you.

I contacted carer gateway and have 1st one to one counselling session on Monday ❤️ 

Hi @Ana1 

It’s so lovely to hear from you 💜

It was my pleasure to share this resource with you and I think that it’s great that you’ve registered to participate in both groups!

I really hope that you find the support and connection that you’re searching for and I would love to hear how you get on 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance