Skip to main content Skip to main content

I’m looking for…

Home » Forums
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a support person interested in with a watering can and water drops graphic to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I'm a health professional interested in with a trellis and plant illustration to the right of it
Circle drop down menus with words I want to register for an event and two plant pots to the right of it
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Jake
Senior Contributor

Poster's diagnosis/es

Hi Admin,

I've noticed on some other common interest forums that posters often have a few words posted next to their name to help the reader identify more with the poster.

For example, if I was on a motorcycle forum, I'd sign off with the models off the bike I owned, so other posters (who had the same model bike) could identify more with the poster.

In respect of this MI forum, I respect everyone for being here, but would probably identify more with someone who has a similar illness to my own. Perhaps this is because I identify with others who have had a similar experience to my own.

Question - (Considering the forum is anonymous) :-

Do you think it would be a good idea, or help other posters to identify more with each other, if we signed off with our diagnosis/es?

e.g.

Regards,

Jake - BPD, DID 

Can you give me reasons either way please?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Poster's diagnosis/es

Hi Jake,

Our initial reaction to this would be that we wouldn't go down this avenue. The main reason being is from what we have already seen in the forums - people talking about being more than the MI, not wanting to be labelled or 'boxed in' to a diagnosis and some who don't identify with a diagnosis.

The other thing we have seen in the forum is that regardless of whether the disgnosis or experience is the same or similar, people have supported eachother & given great advice. We really do not want to discourage this.

By all means, you can sign off with whatever you feel comfortable with 🙂

We are also open to hearing the rest of the community's thoughts around this.

Nik

Hi Nik,

No worries, I understand where you are coming from completely. My question arose from the fact that most posters have already disclosed their diagnosis/es, hence my earlier post regarding a poll on the prevalence of the different sorts of MI.

Also, as the community grows, I am finding it harder to remember who has a similar diagnosis/es to myself, which helps me relate to the poster. That is to say, I suffer from a personality disorder and I think to myself, 'I wonder who else in this forum has a personality disorder and understands where I am coming from'.

Regards, Jake 

I'm in the agreement with NikNik on this one. Although we could all sign of with our favourite motorcycle of you like? Mine would definitely be something expensive like a BMW or a Harley! 

Maybe with time posters will self-disclose what their diagnosis or diagnoses are.

But.  My MI is like a painter's palette, starting with primary colours and then blending.  And does each person self-diagnose, or question a practitioner's diagnosis, or welcome the diagnosis as a missing puzzle part that helps them?

Would a format where posters talk about symptoms rather than diagnoses be better?  Or would that be disturbing or triggering to others?

And (having finally read the forums guidelines Woman Embarassed) is there some way we can talk about medications or treatments?  Its an elephant-in-the-room issue, a subject best raised with our therapist, but what if we don't have a practitioner?  Or the right one for us?

I spent some months on an anti-depressant that had some unpleasant side-effects.  I found widespread criticism of it on the 'net and raised the subject with my GP, who gave me another medication.

As consumers, we who have MI need to be informed and to be self-advocating.  But is this forum the right place for this?

Hi BatGuano,

Thanks for raising the point about meds and reading taking the time to read the guidelines. In response to your question about discussing meds on the forums. The reason we ask that members refrain from describing specific details of their medication is to try and ensure that community members receive accurate information. The risks associated with receiving false or inaccurate information about medication can be dangerous. And this is not to say that people don't know what they are talking about when share information about how medications impact them, but there's many other factors that can lead to a person to have certain side-effects and reactions (i.e., biological make-up, age, general health, other medications), so it can differ from person to person. So some meds might work for some people whilst other don't work for others.

It's ok to share your experiences and concerns with meds on the forums whilst not describing exactly what it is. But for information regarding dose and specific medication, it's a good idea to speak to a mental health professional who can do an assessment of your needs. 

Thanx CherryBomb,

I understand your policy and agree with you. Would a FAQ page or checklist for how to best use the resources of health professionals be something to consider?

That's a great idea, BatGuano! Definitely something to consider. Smiley Happy

**Jotting it down** 

Thanks, 

CB

Re: FAQs guide to getting the most from your mental health professional

Great idea Bat Guano! <br>There are some resources that explain the difference between what the differences are between GP, psychiatrist and psychologist. some guides also describe briefly different types of therapy such as ACT, CBT, DBT and Gestalt..I think it is definitely worth having a consumer's guide to mental health, coz in some areas of Australia, maybe some service aren't available. Rough estimates of costs might be included and asking the right questions, such as my personal favourite, do you bulk bill? Or what are your fee? And average length of therapy, as the aim of treatment should be to end treatment...

Re: FAQs guide to getting the most from your mental health professional

Stress the importance of a good ongoing relationship with your GP, who's often the first port of call when you're unwell and who needs to get to know you in order to be able to spot it. 

I speak to too many people who are in crisis who don't have a regular GP and have no one to offer help or referral. To go along to a new doctor and explain "I'm chronically mentally ill, but I thought I was better, and now I'm in crisis and I need help right now..." well its a big ask! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance